litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Coolant Loss, Is Chatsworth (130 Miles Each Way) Doable?

dbjuk

So, noticed coolant down about an inch below min after a thrash the other day. Did not see any drips though so replaced expansion bottle cap as there was some residue on it.  Topped up.  No heat issues that day or before.

Under some pressure to clean car after seeing the superb 160 on the Chatsworth thread I just removed the front grille for paint and noticed a slight pool of cooolant in that area, clearly a rad or hose leak.

Heres the question...do I dare to make my way to Chatsworth tomorrow as planned? Last thing I want is to encourage HGF but with about 300 miles (I am joining at Hassop, not the drive) I guess thats a decision probably just taken for me by the car? 

Conscious that all advice is good advice but that it is me who has to fix the car, is it worth the risk? 

David

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you run it at idle until the fan kicks in and see if you can find a leak ?  If it's just a pin-hole in the rad, you might be OK to use rad-weld or similar.  I've just put a bottle of K-Seal in mine as I'm in the same position.

If it's an original rad, you will have plastic end caps.  These are notorious for giving up and a leak from here might be a warning that they're about to go disastrously.

Check the pipe jubilee clips, although it's unlikely to be this unless you've been working on them recently.

Thanks Dobbo, took ages for fan to kick in but cant see any obvious source, either rad ends or in the cooling matrix.  Off to Halfords (cleaning product!) and will look afterwards, probably put rad weld in anyway...when it cools down.

99 S1 with 25k I have owned for last year so almost certainly original rad as it all looks undisturbed.

David

As Dobbo has said, sounds like being either the rad itself or the hose connections to it. On the plus side for you, the weather looks like being a few degrees cooler tomorrow....just keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

I had a very small leak from the rad that would cause a pool similar to yours and in the same location.  I couldn't see it leaking when stationary and it was probably only leaking under pressure.  The radiator had small pin holes were the core meets the end caps and the rad was just over five years old.  I personally wouldn't use sealant products because they can be difficult to flush out afterwards.

You wont do any damage by having a leak but will do damage if you lose all your coolant and then overheat.  I would look for residue around the hose ends at the front.

If you are going to be coming up at a steady speed and not stationary for long periods, you will be ok.  I would just keep an eye on the levels.  A slight leak should not become a major leak too quickly.

Drove all the way and back watching the temp gauge like a hawk. No problems and was mainly steady at 87 degrees and never exceeded 90 (well, actually 86 and 89 as with lights on it shows a degree higher of course for some odd reason) I did add Holts seal anything as well as gaskets stuff but now have a lightweight rad excuse. Thanks for the advice, technical and funny!

Great day out.

as with lights on it shows a degree higher of course for some odd reason

I suspect you have a slight earthing fault. The temp on SWMBOs S1 jumps two degrees when you put the blower on, another two when you turn the blower to max and ten degrees if the fan kicks in!

Archived