litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Ecu Download At 1000 Mile Service

chris_h

I asked for a copy of my ECU download at the 1000 mile service yesterday. I was amazed at the amount of parameters that are being recorded, 6 pages of A4!

for example:

5 highest RPM's recorded, what the coolant temperature was at these points and how many hours old (driving time) was the car at that point.

time at different % throttle positions, time at different rpm bands, time at different speed bands, time in sport or normal, time in auto or manual, oil temperature, top 2 vehicle speeds, top two standing starts 0-60 & 0-100, last standing start 1-100 and my favourite... time at lateral G

my figures:

0-0.6g 29 hours

0.6-0.8g 58 seconds

0.8-1g 8 seconds

1.2 -1.4g 0.

I think for just road driving 8 seconds 0.8-1g is pretty good. Got to aim for some time in the 1.2-1.4g for the next service!!

I think its fair to say, come a warranty claim lotus know what you've been doing to your car!

image.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's not just an ECU but a black box as well :-)! How much info can out record then? Must have a limited amount of memory, although I wouldn't imagine that sort of data would require a massive amount

Just curious, is it possible that GPS chips are built in to circuit boards for the ecu?

No integrated GPS, but the modern Lotus ECUs (such as T4e and T6) continuously log performance data whilst the engine is running. This data is used for diagnostics, warranty claims (identification of "abuse" or lack of mechanical sympathy) and engine management.

Logging of various parameters can give dealers and the manufacturer important data about engine history and the manner that the car is driven. If you mechanically overspeed the engine and the engine dies, logged data will be a dead giveaway; a warranty claim for the detonated engine would be unsuccessful.

This data also also controls features such as "launch controlled" standing starts. For example, the S3 Exige will only allow an assisted launch if certain parameters are met (e.g., engine temp within limits, steering angle, no launch initiated for "x" minutes, max number of launches not exceeded etc.) - and will increment a counter each time a launch takes place. Once the maximum number of launches have occurred, the ECU will not permit further lunches until the counter is reset by the dealer. Reset requires inspection, service and adjustment of the powertrain - this being chargeable and outside the scope of a standard service.

In short, yes, it's a black box recorder. It doesn't record geographic location or individual journey details (your "tracker", if you have one, will produce this incriminating evidence), but it does log considerable detail.

I think its fair to say, come a warranty claim lotus know what you've been doing to your car!

Yeah, Gerald at Peter Smiths told us that when we picked our Exige up in 2004. He made a point of saying "Make sure you follow the running in recommendations down to a t, or you could invalidate your warranty."

Not sure whether someone had done just that, or if he'd seen the way we that drove the old Turbo Esprit. :D;):D 

Archived