litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sixth Gear Selection Problems - Latest 1.6 Elise ?

Eric

Just wanted to poll for feedback from owners of 1.6 Elises (Elisii) and possibly latest 1.8 S.

I'm experiencing a reluctance to select 6th gear about, very roughly, 1 shift out of maybe 10.

But on the other hand, I've also noticed that there isn't sufficient clearance for the gearlever to move freely from 5th to 6th, and it's caused by the elliptical surround that provides the mounting for the leather gear level gaiter.

Here's a diagram I prepared earlier that illustrates this very simple lack of mechanical clearance,,,,

gallery_1838_371_37016.jpg

I've told the dealer about this and they've checked the shift cables twice - saying that the adjustment is spot on and they've informed Lotus about my concerns.  Still not overly happy with it though!!

The Exige had a similar clearance problem but that was in the 5th gear position.  Fixed that by taking the centre console off and creating more space within the elliptical surround (its only moulded plastic so easily done).

Anyone else having (or had) similar problems (remember I'm primarily interested in hearing from 1.6 and latest 1.8S owners).

Thanks rolleyes.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had probs both sides 1st and 2nd, 5th & 6th. You need to bias the adjustment over to the left by adjusting the rod ends underneath the tunnel. ensure you can select 1st, 2nd and reverse against it's stop then 5th and 6th should clear and stop rubbing.

Tis not quite that easy Mr G.

First thing I tried was one turn (that's the smallest adjustment available at the tunnel end) of the cross-gate cable rod end.  Yes, that moved the gear lever left a bit, but I then had difficulty getting into 1st and 2nd - doh!!

So returned it to the original setting.

As a said though, Lotus Silverstone have adjusted the cables once at the first service and then had the car back again to re-check the cables so this is about as good as it gets out-of-the-box, so to speak.

Have they changed the centre console eric? I had more probs on track once everything was warmed up especially shifting from 3rd to 2nd. Stiffening the engine mounts also helped a lot and reduce the engine movement? I guess you have seen these issues in your exige?

Not really had problems to this extent on the Exige.

But, yes, the Elise is definitely worse when everything's warmed up.

When I get time I'll try driving it with the centre console removed completely and take it from there :-))

Archived