litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Mot Fail :(

Simon Mac

Took the car to Halfords for it's MOT (I know) and it failed on headlight adjustment :(

Realignment = £12

Or

I could fix it and bring it back for a retest =£17

Guess which I chose...

Still £35 and done within walking distance from work could have been much worse.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brave taking your car to Halfords for mot. Jack an Elise up wrong and your asking for trouble.

I did let them know how to jack it up when I dropped it off ;)  

My first Lotus was an Exige S on a full maintenance contract hire... Had no choice back then taking it to the Kwikfit/Halfords of this world as that's who the CH company had accounts with. TBH they were always extra careful as it was a bit out of the ordinary for the fitters to be working on.

No retest fee for failure with lighting, you have been had

I was intrigued by this, so I checked on .gov website.

Within next working day no fee is payable on the following faults, blah, blah...  The specific item was:

"lamps (excluding headlamp aim)"

As they failed the car on headlamp aim, a retest fee was payable :(

If it failed on headlamp alignment how can the fault be "lamps (excluding headlamp aim)"?

Sounds like they used a fault description that wasn't appropriate to the actual fault - so they could charge a retest fee.

If it failed on headlamp alignment how can the fault be "lamps (excluding headlamp aim)"?

Sounds like they used a fault description that wasn't appropriate to the actual fault - so they could charge a retest fee.

My fault for causing confusion.

The reason for failure on the print out  was: "Nearside headlight aim to low [1.8]",  Which I'd paraphrased as "It failed on headlight alignment"

So it is correct it would need a retest fee if I took the vehicle away, according to .GOV's allowed free retest rule of: "lamps (excluding headlamp aim)"

The work carried out according to the invoice was "Headlight re-allignment".

Archived