litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Er Oooops

dobbo

Someone (Bernard at Auto-Teknix) dropped an Audi engine in to my car over the last few weeks, and it went to Emerald today for mapping.

Audi AGU 1.8T engine (biggest inlet valve tracts they did, and strongest internals) plus forged rods and baffled sump

Cupra R 6sp 'box with LSD

Sachs racing clutch / flywheel (replacing heavy dual-mass flywheel)

ProAlloy-modified inlet manifold

Jabba exhaust manifold

Garrett Turbo / Owen Developments cold side (not sure what)

Eliseparts silencer and decat

Emerald K3 ECU with triple maps

All appropriate bespoke bits from Bernard (mounts, driveshafts, gear linkages, etc, etc).

Also fitted a ProAlloy 52litre fuel tank and various gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, boost, exhaust gas temperature and lambda).

First power run (minimum boost) made 240bhp.  Looking pretty exciting !!!  And that's the "lowest" power map, supposedly safe for winter (!) and MoT-ready.

Unfortunately, the air conditioning inside the rolling road at Emerald wasn't exactly pumping out cold air today (strange, that - it was the same when I was there 2yr ago as well).  An exhaust manifold at 950degC soon heats up a small garage...

It only made 300bhp (!) - the ECU was pulling back the boost and retarding the ignition as a self-preservation mode due to high air inlet temperatures (75degC+).  On the road, with real air flow, they reckon another 30bhp should magically appear.

Given other options, (intercooler fan, then larger air scoops then charge cooler) and Bernard reckons it'll top 400bhp (and no re-mapping needed as the ECU is currently doing the limiting) !

It'll be at Donny for the evening session (although not driving as they're fully booked).

Wish me luck in not finding a hedge in the near future !

Obviously there will soon be various K-series goodies coming up for sale.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my days. That sounds bonkers.....

Alex has just dropped out of donington, you could always drop them a line if you want to embarrass us all....

I bet you can't stop smiling....

Someone (Bernard at Auto-Teknix) dropped an Audi engine in to my car over the last few weeks, and it went to Emerald today for mapping.

AGU engine with forged rods and baffled sump

Cupra R 6sp 'box with LSD

Sachs racing clutch / flywheel

ProAlloy inlet manifold

Jabba exhaust manifold

Garrett Turbo / Owen Developments cold side (not sure what)

Eliseparts silencer and decat

Emerald K3 ECU with triple maps

All appropriate bespoke bits from Bernard (mounts, driveshafts, gear linkages, etc, etc).

Also fitted a ProAlloy 52litre fuel tank and various gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, boost, exhaust gas temperature and lambda).

First power run (minimum boost) made 240bhp. Looking pretty exciting !!! And that's the "lowest" power map, safe for winter (!) and MoT-ready.

Unfortunately, the air conditioning wasn't exactly pumping out cold air today (strange, that - it was the same when I was there 2yr ago as well). It only made 300bhp (!). The ECU was pulling back the boost and retarding the ignition as a self-preservation mode due to high air inlet temperatures (75deg+). On the road, with real air flow, they reckon another 30bhp should magically appear.

Given other options, (intercooler fan, then larger air scoops then charge cooler) and Bernard reckons it'll top 400bhp !

It'll be at Donny for the evening session (although not driving as they're fully booked).

Wish me luck in not finding a hedge in the near future !

Obviously there will soon be various K-series goodies coming up for sale.

I wish if seen you wanted a track slot as mine has been sold back to them due to my s1's VVC killing itself!

Oh my days. That sounds bonkers.....

Alex has just dropped out of donington, you could always drop them a line if you want to embarrass us all....

I bet you can't stop smiling....

:(

Ah, I didn't realise it was your car when I popped into Bernard's a few weeks back. I'm sure it'll be great fun!!

My Duratec is nearly complete after a refresh. Need to book it into Emerald but I suspect a big wait?

Need to book it into Emerald but I suspect a big wait?

We had a 2 week wait, but at the time of booking they were pretty free from next week onwards.  They also had no-one on the cancellation / waiting list, we were were top of that (but no-one cancelled).

Not sure how "finished" it is yet.  I know I still have some tidying to do in the engine bay, dashboard and sorting out the gauges.

I'll see how it looks.  An Audi engine in the engine bay doesn't leave much space, so not sure what there'll be to see !

Archived