litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Head Gasket Replacement And Engine Polish

malcellis

First post help. I'm going for a replacement head gasket for my k-series Elise S2 as I'm told it 'when not if' that it will go. I'm just interested to know if anyone has any experience of having the engine polished to improve performance at the same time. Many thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno really - if it were me I would try and sort a spare head and have it ported with bigger valves before taking your old head off.  If you can stand the car for a bit you could send your existing head off to be done but you might as well wait until winter?

You could even try and book it in to DVA to do the whole lot in January....if I had the money that's what I would have done.

Thanks Martin. So prevention is not better then?

IMO no. If you dont drive it far when its gone you will do little harm. It will go on either age or mileage as a general guide. the elastomar used to seal it was not designed for the temps the head is subject to. It goes mushy with age / useage. There are better gaskets now developed. repaired correctly when / if it goes you are unlikely to get a repeat. A PRT fitted is also a good preventative measure.

I was thinking of having the head ported and polished which will include gasket replacement so it should never be a worry. 2 jobs in 1 - Good or bad idea?

I dunno really - if it were me I would try and sort a spare head and have it ported with bigger valves before taking your old head off. If you can stand the car for a bit you could send your existing head off to be done but you might as well wait until winter?

You could even try and book it in to DVA to do the whole lot in January....if I had the money that's what I would have done.

Thanks Dean. How long does it take then? I've been told it's about 2k to do?

Have a look at the DVA power website it is really informative, and then I would give Dave Andrews there a ring. If it was me I would try and stretch to some bigger valves while you're at it as they make a big difference apparently. Dave will tell you the cost.

To give you an idea to properly repair a gasket failure with decent parts inc. new cam belt and waterpump and a skim you won't get much change out of £800.

Have a look at the DVA power website it is really informative, and then I would give Dave Andrews there a ring. If it was me I would try and stretch to some bigger valves while you're at it as they make a big difference apparently. Dave will tell you the cost.

To give you an idea to properly repair a gasket failure with decent parts inc. new cam belt and waterpump and a skim you won't get much change out of £800.

Then after that sit down due to shock, and ring kiwi Rog up for a second quote.

Remain seated during phone call to kiwi as it won't be a short phone call....

Thanks for all the advice guys :-) I'll have a look at DVA. Who's kiwi Rog?

Kiwirog is Roger Fabry. His website is SabreHeads

He did the polishing / porting work on my head when I replaced the head gasket on mine....lovely job!

There's some photos of his work on page 9 of this thread of mine:-

http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/topic/59300-hgf-diy-kr1/page-9

Archived