litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Advice On The Lotus Elise R

Lucy Jane Sharpe

All I can say test drive R first

If your local to me it's a good stating point as mine got all the upgrades and more from the factory.

Exige underpinnings

As the special build with the proverdance paper work confirming all the extras.

The only reason it's for sale is the Evora purchase.

Eddie.

[email protected]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking from experience, I'd say that the Elise R's need to be revved to death to make decent progress will soon get tiring. I had mine for a year and was sick of it by then.

Surprised no one has mentioned the S2 111s, constant torque (and lighter) without the need to rev it to red line to make rapid progress.

Someone always needs to bring up the 111s vs 111r debate every so often, sorry. :)

Shaun.

I would have a drive of some other models too. If you have a 240 BHP seven they are all pretty slow by comparison so you may as well get something to complement the collection. The R/111R can be pretty tedious on the road (chasing the second cam and pretty numb below that) . The SC would be my choice at that price point or save youself some money and get a 134 S which is a vastly better road car than the R. If you like a tinker of a weekend the K series has a bit more character IMO.

Try and have a decent test drive in each - a quick blast in the R with the second cam trick is exciting but day to day it wont be for everyone.

I've had the ECU upgrade on my Elise have to say that is does make the cam change smoother as it blends the cam in better & more slowly from about 5700rpm rather than it coming in with a 'bang' at 6200-6300rpm as standard.

It certainly make a difference when driving right on the cam change point.

For £450-£500 it's well worth it!!

All though I loved my 111r it was the most awkward to drive due to constantly hunting 6k plus rpm.

Dean's right come along to a trackday/evening and have some pax laps!

As already mentioned you need to test drive the variants and make up your own mind.  They really are quite different. 

The SC is a good shout and I suspect your other half will prefer it to an R as it's easier to drive quickly, so perhaps test drive the R first.

The R isn't for everyone, I've had mine for 8 years and I love it.  For 4 yrs it was my daily commute.  I've taken it on trips to Europe and I've taken it on track days.  It's 2 cars in one.  A sensible every day road car that doesn't constantly tempt my right foot into breaking the speed limits (unlike the 2.5L turbo Subaru WRX I've just got rid of) with surprising good fuel economy, to a screaming driving machine that needs to be revved/driven yet rewards/responds perfectly.  It's not the lightest, or the most powerful of the range.  Mine has the ecu cam change, a/c and I even put a subwoofer in so I can hear the stereo, but for me it's the best all round package and it's a keeper :)

/my 2p

had an s2 elise R with the ecu mod from lotus made is so much more drivable as a daily car. when it came to selling it after one year sold it in an instant for more than i paid and sight unseen. paid by bacs and was collected by a car transport compnany on a covered trailer. it now lives in italy and i love my evorasmile.png

I agree it's amazing to drive also with the stage 2 sports exhaust and induction upgrade from C Neil .

hopefully when I'm back in the UK Thursday catch up on missed phone calls.

Evora yes please.

Eddie cheers .

The 111R or later R is still a very fast car. Zero to sixty in 4.9 seconds, 100 in 13.0 seconds and a 150 mph

top speed according to Lotus. Part of its charm is the manic engine delivery when you hit the cam change

point at 6200 revs yet it's more than quick enough below this point and very docile too.

I have a sister car to Eddie's which has the Exige Super Sport Pack track suspension and AO48 Yokohama's and with

this set up it's even quicker (0-60 in 4.7 secs claimed)! In fact when i bought mine i was told (after i had bought it) by

someone at the factory it was the best set up Elise/Exige variant they had driven.

Remember you have the option of buying the R and retro-fitting the factory 220PS 'Lotusport' SC kit (whilst stocks last).

I have to admit to having had this done but only because i felt the orange and black paint job and additional

specification of my car demanded it! I think now it's probably the equal in performance terms of any factory 4-pot Exige. post-3635-0-11952700-1403560878_thumb.jpgpost-3635-0-53165900-1403560961_thumb.jpg

I love my 111R.  Love the easy driving below 6200 and the fury above it.

I love wafting along in 6th gear at 40mph and dropping to 2nd gear to overtake. 

I use mine every day, and find it a much better drive than the S2 K series I had before. 

It is economical, giving 35+ mpg when driven "normally" - 250-300 miles to a tank.  Servicing is cheap with only an "A" service. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived