litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

I Fear The Worst

DeanB

Driving down the A38 today, on the way to Unit4 as it happens, when I notice a load of white smoke in my rear view. I dip the clutch and it stops as the revs drop but when I engage the clutch and bring the revs up there it is again - a great big white cloud. At first the engine seemed to be running fine but then it didn't seem yo want to pull so I stopped and turned it off. Couldn't see what was up so started it again and drove it another six miles to Gav's and it ran fine.

No coolant loss.

I had been driving really steady for the preceding 30 miles, 70 mph so about 3 1/2 thousand revs on the dual carriageway.

Oil clean and still most of the way up the dipstick.

The engine light didn't come on.

Water temp was fine - 86 degrees iirc

Tailpipe was really sooted up.

Mrs Bower who was following said there were about three big clouds, and they really stank of oil, but after I stopped and restarted it was ok.

Gav is going to look at the plugs and do a compression test tomorrow.

Anyone any ideas what could have caused it?

I am obviously concerned my engine is fubared.

Thanks

Dean

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only obvious is check for leaks dripping onto exhaust etc. The compression test will reveal a good deal possibly? If thats ok get it to Cadwell and try and break it properly. Its the only way. The K is surprisingly robust normally. You can do loads of trackdays and 100K and they still keep going ( the odd HGF aside ) Im sure Gav will sort it.

Considering how many do trackdays and thrash them only a couple on here have managed to destroy one :) ( VHPD, s aside )

Sorry to hear this Dean, especially so close to Cadwell. With any luck it'll be something trivial and the oracle will be able to sort it in time.

I have everything crossed Martin. If it is fubared I will have to scrounge a lift to Cadwell. Are you going btw?

Dean, no unfortunately. Im still running the car in ( 700 miles at the mo ) and cant afford an Emerald yet. Fingers crossed for yours though.

Was going to mention as Martin - oil dripping on the exhaust but you comment the tail pipes are sooted, so its internal.

Could oil be in the breather hose due to an oil pressure build up?

At least you got it to Gav, the best place it can be.

Keith there are about 15 MLOCers going to Cadwell on Thursday. I think there are 2 spaces if you fancy tracking. Maybe 3 if my engine is broken.

Would be good to see you.

Keith there are about 15 MLOCers going to Cadwell on Thursday. I think there are 2 spaces if you fancy tracking. Maybe 3 if my engine is broken.

Would be good to see you.

Any news yet dean?

Archived