litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Suspension Refresh The Hard Way

jimbo07g41

So I finally finished my suspension refresh with a trip to see Mike at Sports car services. He was the main man at Horizon, which was my garage of choice back in the day. Mike has setup may race cars and knows his onions. He charged me for about 2.5 hours work (£100) and if you know what is involved, its quite good value. I did think about using string but I thought I could justify the expenditure after spending so much on parts.

These days I get as much fun from the spanner work and want to learn as much as possible.

post-2095-0-68941600-1400530187_thumb.jpg

This was the condition of the wishbones after 65k and twelve years.

I got them shot blasted and then treated them with a rust inhibiter. I have just used hammerite, as I am not bothered about the finish.

post-2095-0-08875300-1400530544_thumb.jpg

I did lots of research on the ball joints, drop links and Track Rod ends to use. If you want good quality ones that are the correct size first time, use your normal Elise suppliers. I have now got a list of alternative bits and used mainly FAI and Delphi.

Thanks also go to Jodie for helping me build up a upgraded toe link kit with Rose Joints.

post-2095-0-29837200-1400531003_thumb.jpg

I have also fitted Nylon wishbone bushes (Elise Shop)and these involve quite a bit of work to get setup.

The car feels amazing now and is so planted. Pity I only had it half done at Blyton! Thanks also to Stockholme for some tips.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you did the spannering and mike did the geo?

I used to use mike all the time before I started tinkering myself, how was Wendy, still doing cards etc?

So you did the spannering and mike did the geo?

I used to use mike all the time before I started tinkering myself, how was Wendy, still doing cards etc?

Yes, I wanted it setup good and proper. I knew he was the man for the job. He was writing numbers on some card and using various old fashioned looking equipment, none of the Hunter Quaser rubbish.

I didn't see Wendy and didn't see any of her cards.

Archived