litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Evora - Noise From Tyre Or Wheel

P4N Lotus

So been getting this clicking metallic noise coming from my rear wheels - I think , I can't work out I thought was front but now I'm thinking it's the rear...

SYMPTOMS:

- clicking, metal noise on wheel revolutions, sounds like a stone in tread, or nail

- noise appears at low speed crawling in straight line

- noise appears on left side when Corning right

- noise appears on right side when cornering left

- noise only appears when weight on the wheel

- initially thought it was loose pad, however noise still there wen applying parking break

- noise still there when apply foot break

- noise there when rolling in gear or out gear

- noise there when clutch in or out and Rolling

- noise not there when not moving

- jacked up wheels , can't see any stones or any nails in tread

- jacked up spun all wheels separately and no noises

- wheel nuts all tight , no wobble on tyre

- tyre tread on rear passenger side is under 2mm on outer, and about 2-3mm on inner (tread pretty worn) but not level with indicater mark, but getting close, more noise comes from this side

- tyre tread on rear driver side is about 2mm on outer and 3mm on inner, not so much noise but does occur

- noise only started since tread started to get low

Thoughts ? Questions ? Any ideas?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think its rears, it speeds up as increase road speed and slows down when crawling but if you take out of gear or turn off it still occurs , defo not engine speed. Going to get checked out shortly

Saw this on another forum. Was solved by taking wheel off and putting back on with bolts at correct torque.

It slowly came back over a few thousand miles but was solved the same way. Seems odd but a few people have said the same thing.

Saw this on another forum. Was solved by taking wheel off and putting back on with bolts at correct torque.

It slowly came back over a few thousand miles but was solved the same way. Seems odd but a few people have said the same thing.

Was it on the rears Chris? They due for new rears any how was gona take it in, I was wondering it it was the wire I'm the tires or the markers causing it, was worrying if it was cv joint

The thread is covered on lotustalk.com under the Evora thread , listed as clicking sound from rear wheels. It seems to be associated with the collars on the stock wheel bolts. They changed them to those provided for the Exige by Hanger111 and it seems to have cured theproblem. If you go to page 4 of the thread there are some pictures. I haven't had this problem on mine but I've got the forged wheels.

Hope this helps.

Apologies, later posts on lotustalk show that changing the wheel bolts didn't provide a fix and there doesn't seem to be any further progress in finding a solution!

Saw my local mechanic , he said its defo not cv joint, he reckoned it was something to do with something catching inside the brake. He blew out the disc with air in all the vents and around pads, to get and crap out and left the other side to see if it cleared the issue one one side. So far the side he cleaned up is now fine and the other is still making the noise.

Spun it on jacks no issues, no play, brakes fine, he had look at the cv joints said they were fine and showed now signs and the symptoms didn't match cv joint issue, he reckoned something inside or something catching the parking brake in the disc/drum (is the parking brake inside it or something on the rear , he explained it to me, he gave it a good blast out for 5mins thoroughly with the air gun tho, loadsa crap came out , the passengers side one hasn't made noise since he blasted it with air gun. Didn't charge me oat as he said he never did oat but he thinks something may have been in there or something was rubbing or catching casing something to click or hit

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived