litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

71 Years Ago Tonight....

Dr H

At 9.28pm on 16 May 1943, the first of 19 Lancaster heavy bombers lifted off the runway headed for the Ruhr region of Germany.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22510300

The skill and bravery of the pilots who flew at night, at 100ft (30m) or less over enemy territory is breathtaking. They flew so low that one hit the sea, which tore off the underslung bomb, and scooped up seawater into the fuselage, while another was engulfed in flames as it ploughed straight into high voltage electricity cables

I doff my cap.......

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was lucky enough to attend a special evening last year all in honour of the dam-busters, barns wallis's daughter and one of the bomberders let us in on some of their stories/memories, it was very, very moving

I'll bet it was. I seem to be obsessed with WW2 Air Force stuff at the minute. The last three books I read have been about Bombing raids and fighter pilots.

It fascinates me, totally.

Obsessive Leigh you never? However they were very brave men and a fascinating subject. It makes you feel humble reading them. My father was in Burma during the war. He would never talk about it. He also refused to collect his medals. i collected them when he passed away. These will be passed down the family.

Like.

I thought you might!

Obsessive Leigh you never? However they were very brave men and a fascinating subject. It makes you feel humble reading them. My father was in Burma during the war. He would never talk about it. He also refused to collect his medals. i collected them when he passed away. These will be passed down the family.

Mt OH's Grandad was in Burma and he never talked about it either. Must have been hell, can;t imagine what they put up with. Recently found out that my Great Uncle was in the Navy in the war, he was on HMS King George V which was involved in the sinking of the Bismark.

Apparently he didn't get on at all with his mum (she didn't want him) so at 16 (in 1939) he signed up to be shot at by the Nazis! He got around quite a bit as he got the Atlantic Star, Burma Star (with Pacific clasp), Africa Star, Italy Star as well as the 39-45 Star and the War Medal. My great great uncle was in WW1, I remember going to see him when I was a kid but was too young to understand or to ask about it. Apparently he never spoke about it though.

Lizs, great uncle is buried in France near Calais at Bleriot Plage. He was drowned in 1918 just before the end of WW!. We paid our respects on a trip to le Mans. the Commonwealth war graves commision do a fantastic job of looking after the graves it was immaculate.

The Menin gate and Tyne Cot is also worth a Visit. Thiepval near Albert is a fantastic memorial and you can see it for miles around. You have started me off now.

My Grandad was in India/Burma, never spoke of it, until I got a Bren...

We're just back from digging on a WWII USAF fighter base.

We've got plenty of bits from Lanc's and Mosquito's as well.

Pathfinder Lancaster H2S bombing radar.

DSCF2143_zps9f2a044d.jpg

Archived