litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Front Brake Rattle - Tip

fentuz

For sprinting, I run Mintex 1155 because they heat up faster the performance friction. I found the mintex back plate is a lot thinner and a bit smaller than the one on PF and R14 and initially got the famous rattle.

I found that if I turn around the caliper pad spring (AP spring blade - arrow dow rather than up) the rattle goes...and I'm happy again :)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully sounds like a cure, Bill, but it begs the question - why is there an arrow on the spring ?

I don't know, but there must be a reason ???

Actually, there probably isn't a reason - Lotus just used stuff from a parts bin and these springs just happened to have an arrow on them.

I believe the spring changed; On early cars, the spring was symmetrical. On later car, it is offset with arrow.

I think the spring constrain the pads in position. When it is up, I believe it constrains the top of the pads more creating a natural taper for the disc to get/channel in. Putting the arrow down may reduce this taper but it would probably be recreated by natural wear. I'm saying that because I noticed that the top on my pads used to be a little worn out than the bottom.

You could get sticky little pads that go in the calipers see item 15

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=1281&MAK=1&MDL=13&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

I also put some mintex sticky rubber pads on to the back of the pagid's so the pistons have something to 'bight' into

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINTEX-CERATEC-LUBRICANT-GREASE-AND-4-ADHESIVE-ANTI-SQUEAL-BRAKE-PAD-SHIMS-SHIM-/251292559571?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a823428d3

Dennis, these little caliper housing pads don't work for long. I tried them 7-8 years ago, they used to come off in winter or on track day.

The rattle doesnot happen with RS14/RS42 or PF when copper grease is apply on the back of the pad. I did many trackday like that and in my experience, it works very well.

I believe rattle in worse with mintex due to the thinner metal back plate; I would guess that why they supply or at least used to supply the 3m rubber pad. with use, the rubber pad gets shape with the pot print keeping the pad a little constrained on the pots.

1155 is not supplied with rubber pad and I cannot be bother to grind a small groove for the pot to engage in.

Dennis, these little caliper housing pads don't work for long. I tried them 7-8 years ago, they used to come off in winter or on track day.

The rattle doesnot happen with RS14/RS42 or PF when copper grease is apply on the back of the pad. I did many trackday like that and in my experience, it works very well.

I believe rattle in worse with mintex due to the thinner metal back plate; I would guess that why they supply or at least used to supply the 3m rubber pad. with use, the rubber pad gets shape with the pot print keeping the pad a little constrained on the pots.

1155 is not supplied with rubber pad and I cannot be bother to grind a small groove for the pot to engage in.

Not had an issue with the lotus supplied buffers but there again I rarely go on track so the calipers don't get too hot

You can buy the rubber things mintex used to supply with their pads separately, see my second link

Archived