litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Solid Cam Conversions

Alex B

Due to my rattle VVC mech getting on my nerves I've decided I'm going to go down the solid cam route.

Couple of questions with a road/race cam in currently looking at either the qed375's or piper 270's would I have to have an emerald unit straight away or would the eu2 ecu run fine for now? Allowing me to save up for emerald and mapping.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha ha ha, I like your style Alex....

Another victory for the Mloc breakfast massive......:-)

If you weren't getting the white turd remapped I might have lived with it....

The QED kit is not the best; duration/lift aren't the best.

piper 270 is mid

piper 285 requires valves springs etc... bottom end may need upgrading and the head needs some clearnance rework due to lift.

you can contact piper to get 1320 but will need spring and head clearance check

you can contact piper to get 633 which should fit.

In any case, you need plate and seal everything and ecu reprog...

It will cost in between £1500 and £2000 if done properly

The QED kit is not the best; duration/lift aren't the best.

piper 270 is mid

piper 285 requires valves springs etc... bottom end may need upgrading and the head needs some clearnance rework due to lift.

you can contact piper to get 1320 but will need spring and head clearance check

you can contact piper to get 633 which should fit.

In any case, you need plate and seal everything and ecu reprog...

It will cost in between £1500 and £2000 if done properly

Turns out it's 285's not 270's in the piper set.

Running 160 trophy bottom end would that require uprating for 285's?

What requires fettling with the head?

I plan on fitting an ecu however have got the spare cash.

285 requires emerald and head fettling: http://www.s262612653.websitehome.co.uk/kengine/index.htm#modvvc

"With ceretain cams that have more than 10mm lift, such as the 1227/835 and BP320 grinds the tip of the lobe of the cam can foul the cylinder head at the top of the follower bore, this happens if the base circle is larger than 28mm and the lift is greater than 10.5mm. It is necessary to fettle this area lightly to provide clearance and this is best done while the head is being modified. Speaking from experience, you dont want to find this out when the head is fully assembled with the cam shimming complete since it is then necessary to completely strip the head to undertake the necessary work, below is a photograph showing where the head has to be fettled, this may need to be done on both sides of each follower bore and on both the inlet and exhaust cams"

lobefetl.jpg

285 has 11mm of lift

Alex, i probably have a spare EU2 VVC head if you want the mechanism off it. It may get you by whilst you save for the lot together?

pm coming your way martin.

285 requires emerald and head fettling: http://www.s262612653.websitehome.co.uk/kengine/index.htm#modvvc

"With ceretain cams that have more than 10mm lift, such as the 1227/835 and BP320 grinds the tip of the lobe of the cam can foul the cylinder head at the top of the follower bore, this happens if the base circle is larger than 28mm and the lift is greater than 10.5mm. It is necessary to fettle this area lightly to provide clearance and this is best done while the head is being modified. Speaking from experience, you dont want to find this out when the head is fully assembled with the cam shimming complete since it is then necessary to completely strip the head to undertake the necessary work, below is a photograph showing where the head has to be fettled, this may need to be done on both sides of each follower bore and on both the inlet and exhaust cams"

lobefetl.jpg

285 has 11mm of lift

thanks for the info :)

just looking for cam info for the QED cams to compare them to the piper.

ive been offered a VVC head with blanking kit, recent valves and tappets with QED cams

or

BP285 cams

verniers

blanking kit.

When i was looking into this, i was told qed cam has too much duration and not enough lift... making the thing very lumpy

ok, i couldn't actually manage to find any cam details down on their website.

I think 633 is the most you can get away with on a standard ecu. However i dont think a VVC ecu will run? Im not 100% on this though.

no sure on the ecu side of things, was going to ring both DVA and kiwi rog up in the morning.

To my knowledge the s1 looms vvc vs non vvc are the same just extra bits added in for the vvc actuator.

no sure on the ecu side of things, was going to ring both DVA and kiwi rog up in the morning.

To my knowledge the s1 looms vvc vs non vvc are the same just extra bits added in for the vvc actuator.

Alex, quite possibly However your ECU will have the VVC program in it. Im not sure this will run a solid cam conversion with the i presume different fueling etc. Its not however an area i know that much about?

• 2 months later...

Hi - Newbie and possibly annoying question

I am reading up about VVC to solid cam conversions.

Did I see somewhere that people had sourced or made 25mm journals for a VVC head to allow the use of standard CAMs??

Is this an option in anyones opinion, because I see no commercial offerings?

Not looking for a race tune btw. 

Hi - Newbie and possibly annoying question

I am reading up about VVC to solid cam conversions.

Did I see somewhere that people had sourced or made 25mm journals for a VVC head to allow the use of standard CAMs??

Is this an option in anyones opinion, because I see no commercial offerings?

Not looking for a race tune btw.

I believe the reason behind there being no commercial offerings on journals is because it's not really a viable option.

Give Dave Andrews or kiwi rog a ring they are both fountains of knowledge when it comes to the k series and have helped me out a lot.

Archived