litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Breakdown Recovery

AlanS1

I have a 5 day tour of England coming up in under 3 weeks. Like everyone i am hoping that the S1 copes without any hiccups. However i am wondering if i should get some breakdown cover just in case?

Has anyone got breakdown cover for their Elise, if so who with, what cover, would you recommend them and have you had to use the cover?

Any idea of policy prices would be very helpful.

Thanks Alan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AA breakdown with parts and labour! Had it on my exige, and now both my daily cars and has been brilliant when needed. Fairly cheap and parts and labour paid for up to £500 per claim. I know M@rk used/uses it on his exige too.

Never had any other cover on my cars apart from this, but no complaints !

I always have it just incase it was to fail on a motorway, the cost of recovery arranged by a the police is scary!!!

I have it free with my insurance but also have AA cover (have parts &labour cover on the st but not needed to test it yet)

Get the best you can afford. Sonya is currently stranded in Leicester in the Audi A8 and they're (GreenFlag) talking about needing a crane to move it - £250 extra on top of what we thought was an all singing, all dancing policy.

When my cambelt went in France, it was shipped home and I got a car for two weeks. That was with the cover with my Richard Egger insurance policy.

As you saw this weekend, Brittania are quite prompt. They recovered the elise on monday ok. We have their top service which includes euro cover as well. A good price as well.

Greg

What's happened to need a lift???

I fell out with green flag a few years ago when they changed the rules re when they will recover to a destination of my choice (I recall they had 24 hrs to repair before they would transport long distance)

Thanks for the replies and advice so far.

Not really bothered about parts and labour (i don't like anyone else working on my car) and with it being 17 years old i would guess that it would not be covered anyway.

I just need a policy that will get my car back home it for some reason it fails and i cant repair it. I have my own trailer that i use for track days.

I am not sure if my insurer offers any options (Manning UK). I will have to give them a call and see. I did get track day insurance with my policy though.

I have GreenFlag. Only ever used them once - with a Rover 25 that had an electrical connection fail on the starter relay at a petrol station. I called GreenFlag, then my wife to tell her I would be late, as I hung up from that call the Breakdown truck appeared, he fixed it in 2 minutes and I was on my way less than 10 minutes after calling them. I can't promise it will always be that quick though.

Here's a tip to get Home Start for no extra cost. You have to pay extra to get them to come to your house - usually you have to be 1/2 a mile away from home. Register the policy at someone else's address (eg parents etc) - then as long as you don't breakdown at their house you are fine

I'm with these fellows:

http://www.2getherinsurance.com/2gether/insurance-product.aspx?Pageid=1

£40 for full UK cover including recovery to a garage of your choice is a bargain. Not needed them yet but reviews on the comparison sites are very good.

I just rang these for a quote as my RAC will be due soon.

They won't cover vehicles over 10 yrs old on mainland Europe :-(

As you saw this weekend, Brittania are quite prompt. They recovered the elise on monday ok. We have their top service which includes euro cover as well. A good price as well.

Greg

Finally got around to looking at breakdown cover.

Greg.g thanks for the suggestion of Britannia. Just got UK recovery for £65 for the year.

It offers everything i will need. (recovery if i break down away from home).

Archived