litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Checkout

ewarwoowar

Hi MLOC, bye1.gif

I have been directed here by others as I'm currently in the market for an S2 Elise and the one I'm looking at is located in Derbyshire but unfortunately it's a 3 hour drive away from me and I was really hoping that if anything is in that area, would you be willing to go take a look at a Lotus for me before I make the 6 hour round trip and get disappointed?

I'm a new buyer so even though I can make the trip, I might miss something drastic and end up with a dud elise and ££££ worse off. I know mostly what to look for but people like yourselves who own and drive them will know far more than I do.

The car is a 2002 111s in case anyone is more experienced with the K series than the yota engine.

Thanks for reading!

Ed

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good in the pictures, main question I'd be asking is has the head gasket failed and been replaced? If not it's not the end of the world.

According to auto trader it's 6miles from me. Now I'm happy to go n have a look but I cannot test drive it due to insurance.

Another alternative is get Gav at Unit 4 to have a look over it, not sure how much he will charge but it's better spending a little n avoiding a dud.

Looks nice condition but its hard to tell body work condition from photos. There will be some stone chips on the sills and front clam, its just unavoidable. Looks to have an after market exhaust also. Its an early 111S so has a slightly different interior to the later cars and also no electric windows or central locking. Still has the factory hardtop which despite what some people say is still worth the extra and fetch £500-600.

Thanks Alex. I've already spoken to the owner and he is not allowing other people to test drive but will take people out in it.

Do you know how much Gav would charge to give it a good check over and what sort of checks would he do?

Thanks Alex. I've already spoken to the owner and he is not allowing other people to test drive but will take people out in it.

Do you know how much Gav would charge to give it a good check over and what sort of checks would he do?

Pm'd you.

This is what i would do. get someone on here to give it a once over. If it looks ok come and have a look yourself. If you are happy ring Gav and sort out an inspection. tell the seller you will have it if the inspection comes back ok.

Gav is on

http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/links/goto/218-unit-4-vehicle-services/

Someone will no doubt PM you his mobile number if you ask. Gav will sort you out. Its a bit of messing about but will be worth it for a decent car.

Meister, that'd be great. As long as he doesn't mind me calling him on his mobile!

My dads friend who has 30+ years in the motor industry and has driven a lotus but not bought has gone to see it and here is what I've got from the call:

The good:
- Starts from 100% cold first time
- No gearbox rattle
- Engine sounds fine
- No oil in the coolant, no mayo
- No oil on the undertrays (Undertrays not removed)
- Brakes in a straight line
- From his opinion it drives like a lotus should(Not test driven but driven in)

The bad:
- There was some water on the from bonnet which he said looked like it came out of the vents. They inspected and couldn't see any leaks. Members on SELOC think its water sitting on top of the radiator that has just flow out the vents.
- Paint missing from rear passenger wheel arch. (Picture link below)
- Engine bay is dirty but no sign of oil leaking
- Needs at least 2 new tyres but should really have 4 new ones. Front tyres have cracks.

Photo album. Picture of door seal is added foam to prevent wind noise http://s977.photobucket.com/user/ewarwoowar1/library/Lotus

@Alex, if you wouldn't mind going then I'd really appreciate it as you have a lotus and may see something my dads friend has not. Could you go just as another viewer as I don't want the seller to think I'm sending the whole of UK to his house...

The socers are probably right about the water. The radiator is flat and so water sits on it when the car is rained on or washed. When you get up to speed it spits out like little rain drops onto the body and screen. Just double check the rad end pieces aren't failing though cos they do that as well.

Tyres are expensive if you want the oem Yokos (Bridgestones are no longer available) so haggle him down.

Remember they should be serviced annually irrespective of mileage.

Looks nice in red. It's not cheap but it is low mileage.

Archived