litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Steering Wheel Spacer

Tomcar

Just thought I'd post my experience of fitting a wheel spacer from Elise Shop.

I have always quite like being a bit closer to the wheel, so decided that the 30mm spacer would be ideal.

The usual efficient service from Elise Parts saw a nicely made aluminium spacer arrive in 2 days. I was a bit dismayed to have to drill out some holes to fit the M6x50mm cap-bolts required, which I was disappointed to find couldn't be included for the price.

The wheel came of easily enough but I did raise a smile at the use of a valve spring to maintain the tension on the retaining nut!

Spacer duly fitted and a test drive was a revelation; not only was the wheel now perfectly placed for me (a bit kart-like) but I can now brake with a straight leg rather than the splayed-leg style to avoid my knee contacting the bottom of the wheel.

Steering feel is much improved and the general 'pointyness' of the car seems much better.

Not a hard job, but very rewarding with the results far outweighing the investment.

If you've ever thought about it - just get on with it.

Tom

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silly question.... How did you estimate how big a spacer you would need? For example with the air bag style wheels, removing the wheel and adding a quick release, how do you measure how big a spacer you'll need before beginning the install?

Luckily my exige was old school with no airbag, I bought a new wheel and it was a guesstimate and trolling thru various threads in seloc...

Nice report!

I keep threatening to do this - I'm in two minds to swap the wheel for a quick release jobbie (not sure why I want this TBH) and have a nicer more modern sporty looking wheel.

But I've never found a steering wheel I like the look of - I suppose I should just get the spacer for now.

Incidentally, when I had track tuition at Cadwell the guy pointed out that I needed the wheel closer as my seat is quite far back (6 foot) - I might try the 30mm!

I kept the standard wheel (2003 car, non-airbag) as I quite like the feel of it for a leather wheel. (I've always changed to suede on previous cars).

I'm only 5'9" but I like the wheel quite close a la touring car, but the room for knees now when braking is a real plus.

Numbnutz - get the spacer now, it transforms the driving experience!

I drove AlexB's s1 which has a spacer and loved it. Alex's is suede and also a tad larger diameter which I also really liked. I am only 5'9" too.

I drove AlexB's s1 which has a spacer and loved it. Alex's is suede and also a tad larger diameter which I also really liked. I am only 5'9" too.

Thanks dean, I myself wasn't sure on the wheel or the spacer at first but the more I drive the car the more I like the setup, it seems to help me leg room wise a lot.

Archived