litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nitron Ntr46 Anyone?

Eric

My new Elise will come with "sports" dampers as part of the Sports Pack but I think they're going to ruin the car's ride for every day driving.

What I really want is a sort of suspension feel and control that I get from my RS Megane 265 Cup. Yes, there's no denying that it is VERY firm, but its also brilliantly supple - a sort of magic double act that only those crafty Renaultsport engineers seem to be able to master.

So, having done a bit of head scratching, and thinking about options for the Elise, here is what I've come up with:

1. Return to standard Bilsteins

2. Dust off the old (and already bruised) wallet and go for over-the-counter Nitron NTR 46s in fast road spec.

3. Really push the boat out and tie up with Hofmanns for some custom valved NTR 46s

Any views, thoughts or experience of the above, welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sports level dampers that come from the factory are still pretty softly sprung / damped compared to aftermarket. They are normally still road focused rather than a true track spec so I'd expect they will still be very good on the road.

I'd wait until you've driven the new one for a while until you spend any more ££'s

Billies are great especially for road use. I have quantum single ways which kind of sit in the 46 race pro level of damper. Brilliant on track but for road they are 10% away from matching the oem until you start with a bit of pace they they are astonishing. The trick that bilstein pull off so well is that you get brilliant tactility at low and medium speed without relying on speed to start smoothing the bumps out. This is the same trait you will have in your megane as it blights all modern performance cars due to the heavy kerb weights.

Archived