litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Introduction And One Of Those Tyre Questions

giles.l

Hi All,

Got my first Lotus (56 plate Elise S) in August and absolutely love it as the car I have dreamt of owning and don't think I'll stop getting "the fizz" every time I get in it (daily driver) I've been regularly keeping check on what's going on on here but to my shame not got round to posting up and saying hi, sorry about that but added a photo by way of an apology ;)

My question it this and any thoughts greatfuly received. I've got to the new front tyre nightmare for 175/55/16s on Rimstock 5.5" wheels. After reading everything I can find on the matter of the troublesome tyre size and seeing some useful info and ideas I'm pretty sure I want to try Toyo R1R 195/50/16 based on reviews and cost over the AD07s that are on now.

Has anyone got experience of 195/50/16 on the 5.5" Rimstock and how they perform? I'm not closed to other tyre suggestions but main question is regarding sizes.

Thanks in advance,

G.

post-5028-0-03240900-1398282743_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi giles

Welcome to mloc, a font of knowledge for all things lotus, try and get to a meet and chatsworth this summer !

195's should be fine on those wheels, very nice btw :)

Autokraft in longton should be able to fit for you if you buy on line, they've looked after my Elise and exige for 8 yrs

So know there what around a loti, as I've broke, replaced or upgraded most things over that time :)

Where did you get the car from.?

And which bit of sunny stoke is home ? I tried to recognise it from the pics as I'm local, but can't ?

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks. Planning to get to Chatsworth, so far the weekend is free. There is a guy I met in passing (while washing the car) who lives up the road with a Yellow S1, was going to try and track him down on here and see how many other people from Staffs will be going.

Longton ain't too far at all will definitely look them up. I'm in Knypersley. There is a tyre place down the road that I am going to talk to about it, always looked after me and should be ok with me being very fussy with what they do.

Car came from stratstone Leicester after 6 months of waiting for the right one.

Good to hear of a bit of Chatsworth enthusiasm in Stoke!

Welcome to MLOC Giles. I reckon 195s on the front will be fine too. I will probably put some on mine at some point.

. I reckon 195s on the front will be fine too. I will probably put some on mine at some point, along with some hand me down free tyres....

Edited for accuracy. :-)

Wouldn't want it any other way... :-)

It's only because you weren't here, we had no one to abuse....

Hey Scatty - talking of such things - well no, about Dean really...

I never did tell you at the Hut last week about somebody I found "bar hanging" until a fellow MLOCer turned up to quench his thirst did I.

The depths people stoop to save a few bob biggrin.png

Welcome Giles - Car looks fab - Apologies for the topic deviation - hard to resist!

offtopic.gif

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys, not had chance to check back in for a while but thought I'd post a quick update. Ended up going with Toyo T1R 195/50/16 on the front in the end. After weighing it up decided that more track orientated rubber was probably not the best choice as mine is a daily all (maybe only most) of the year car and will see a track once or twice a year if that.

The upshot is done a decent few moles on them now both in commuting and in fun and I'm pretty chuffed. The sacrifice I've noticed really is that they feel slightly softer on turn in than the ad07s but that was to be expected and I think may sharpen up with a bit more air pressure but haven't tried it yet (currently on 26psi) On the upside grip is (of course) far more than I'll ever reasonably ever need on the road and far more confidence inspiring in the wet! Oddly the steering feels a little lighter at low speed as well? Looks wise there is a slight bulge in the side wall over the 175 ad07s but nothing that I think anyone would notice something the stood out (no pun intended)

The next step is to get T1Rs on the back as well to match up all round. Going to look into going maybe 245 instead of 225 to keep the contact patch to the same proportion as intended if you know what I mean.

Hope this is useful as I am sure I ain't the first or last to have the "175/55/16 nightmare" (until VW come up with the R32 UP! That needs decent shoes lol)

Archived