Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Carbon Race Bike?

alias23

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_108

IIRC it was one of the first bikes to have been designed at least in part with a wind tunnel, and with only a single seat/chain stay was pretty novel at the time. I seem to remember it featuring on "Tomorrows World"

Si

p.s. Sorry for showing my age :$

I believe they were designed by person called Mike Burrows who is a cycle boffin who helped Giant become one of the biggest bike companies in the world. As a Norfolk lad he turned to Lotus to get some final testing and manufacturing done. I think the ?Olympic bikes were made in the UK but production bikes came from overseas.

The superman position used by Boardman on the bikes was banned by the UCI and the UCI would not allow the design today. I have tried to buy one but it went to Japan for a higher bid. A second hand production model will cost you about 7k if you can find one. Of course, being carbon it can crack and fall apart if it has been crashed.

• 3 months later...

Mike Burrows is a genius akin to Chapman possibly.

He has debunked many myths in the cycle world, If you're into bikes atall he's an interesting character, as is the man who invented the Superman position, not Boardman btw.

Every time one of the topic comes up I keep thinking I should upload this pic...

This was back in the days when I did a lot of cycling -and had hair.  My dad did some work with Lotus and as a result, I got a spin on this...  post-3273-0-24842100-1408801410_thumb.jpg

Archived