litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

How To Make The Car Sound A Little More Sporty?

Jamie Triner

Hey there,

Does anybody have any advice on how to make the my car (s2 elise 111s) sound better?

I have a completely standard car and rather and change the standard exhaust I didn't know if there is any little things I could do to make it sound a little more aggressive than the standard notes the car makes?

I love the sound of it already I just wanted a little bit more of a rasp race sound to the exhaust.

Ive read that having a de cat and induction or open air filter would work. (which one would make the bigger difference)

Not bothered about performance gains just the noise it makes, the cars performance is ace as it is to be honest.

Thanks again!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want the noise from the exhaust, swap the back box.

If you want an induction noise, change the air filter.

It depends which you prefer but looking at your comments, I'd say start with an exhaust back box which there are loads to choose from with various budgets.

I'm after an exhaust for mine but start with disconnecting the valve on the drivers side tailpipe. And also an induction kit that does away with the stock intake does wonders. The 111S has a twin air box to keep things quiet.

Alex had a back box for sale, I'm sure he will be along with the hard sell....

It did sound good though when he had it on his....

they one i have for sale will not fit a rover engined car.

but like everyone has said start with exhaust back box

I had a k&n on my otherwise standard k and it made it sound quite loud and sporty inside the car. I still thought the standard exhaust sounded puny though so I bought a Hangar 111 superlight back box. As a big bonus it is something like 10 kilos lighter than the standard one too.

Back boxes are not cheap but are filters are, relatively.

I think my first buy will be a induction kit then. Hurricane does look good, I just hope it makes a big improvement!

Is there a big difference with a standard exhaust, not looking for a louder noise just something that perks the sound up.

Cheers!

I have got my last 3 filters off ebay, ebc cda, piper cross viper and it's maxogen, they were all a at least 1/2 the price of a new one and all were in near mint condition (I was probably lucky) but it is worth a look

An alternative could be the 100mm feed into the standard filter housing, costs about £20 + a panel filter

Cheers Denis, Ive just found a BMC CDA induction filter at a great price. No hoses or anything, Im guessing the hoses and stuff can be bought to connect it up?

Does anyone know if these give off a good sound?

Mine was good, make sure it as a 85/150 the bigger one.

You need to make sure it has the big ring that grease around it, the rest (silicon pipe and cold air feed) can be got off ebay for little money

This what what mine was like

DSCN2280_zpscb45ccf5-1-1.jpg

It now lives on our lasses ST

DSCN1276cropped_zps79e9647e.jpg

This was the piper cross viper

DSCN3013-1_zps150d9f72.jpg

And the current ITG Maxogen

PC305556_zps5552f6e2.jpg

Great help! :D

By that, big ring with grease round it you mean the silver bracket that wraps around the carbon filter? This one hasn't got it, Looked on ebay and found some universal ones... Ill ask him about the size and hopefully ill get it!

Cheers Dennis!

Stupid auto complete/spell check on iPad and my sausage finger grrrrr, it was supposed to say 'big ring which goes around it, so yes that was what I was referring to.

You used to be able to get spare on ebay but they seem to have dried up as you also need a reducer for the throttle end of the filter.

One of these

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/air-intake-systems%2faccessories/sari003k_d234_1.aspx

You will also need something like this for supporting it all

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/air-intake-systems%2faccessories/spf200k_d235_1.aspx

On a 111S an induction improves the throttle response but most of the sound comes at higher revs when the engines underload. Revving the engine at standstill makes hardly any difference so don't be surprised if you don't notice any difference until you drive it.

Thanks again guys awesome forum, id of end up buying a £30.00 carbon one off ebay lol. Yeah I thought that would be the case but i like that. I had a few small loud cars in my teens, but having made a few 3 hour trips with the exhaust deafening me im glad the noise comes on in the lotus when your labouring the engine! lol

Archived