litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Advice On The Peak District Areas

R.I.B.

Me, Chez, bro, wife and parents are looking at having a long weekend break in the Peak District.

I know a lot of you guys and girls know the Peak District like the back of your hand as evident from some excellent runs so I thought where better to ask than MLOC for a bit of advice as of what areas to stay ?

We've been looking at staying in a Cottage and essential things would be…. Good Food, Good Beer, beautiful surroundings, and shops not too far away for the girls. Like a small old village or something.

Thanks in advance!

Phil

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winster is a beautiful village with decent pubs. Bakewell is probably best for shopping but I would drive in probably. Ashford in the Water is stunning and has pubs. Youlgreave is also really nice and unspoilt - I like The Farmyard pub.

Pm me if you find a place and I will tell you what the area is like Phil if you want.

Hartington is also lovely but very touristy now. People rave about Ashbourne but I don't think it's all that personally. It is close to Dovedale though which is stunning if you fancy a little walk by the river and across the stepping stones.

Winster is a beautiful village with decent pubs. Bakewell is probably best for shopping but I would drive in probably. Ashford in the Water is stunning and has pubs. Youlgreave is also really nice and unspoilt - I like The Farmyard pub.

Pm me if you find a place and I will tell you what the area is like Phil if you want.

Another thumbs up for Youlgreave, we've been there many times sometimes staying in a cottage in the village, sometimes staying at the Farmyard Inn. We'll probably be staying there again when we come up for Chatsworth in July.

Another thumbs up for Youlgreave, we've been there many times sometimes staying in a cottage in the village, sometimes staying at the Farmyard Inn. We'll probably be staying there again when we come up for Chatsworth in July.

Good man!

If you are after some nice roads, get in touch with gareth who organise the serpentine run. I use to spend most of my weekend between castleton, buxton, bakewell etc. and yet, i discovered several nice hidded placed through the serpentine run.

Me, Chez, bro, wife and parents are looking at having a long weekend break in the Peak District.

I know a lot of you guys and girls know the Peak District like the back of your hand as evident from some excellent runs so I thought where better to ask than MLOC for a bit of advice as of what areas to stay ?

We've been looking at staying in a Cottage and essential things would be…. Good Food, Good Beer, beautiful surroundings, and shops not too far away for the girls. Like a small old village or something.

Thanks in advance!

Phil

Phil, have you seen the thread for 'the Saturday night warm-up', hope you'll be joining us!

Between castleton and edale - castleton for the tourist thing; edale if you are in a bearded walking anoraks purist mood. Some nice hotels around there. Always spot loti/tvr/caterhams arround there too.

If you bring the lotus, then get up at 6am and drive on the mountain roads between castleton and edale - you'll have the roads to yourself.

I took the trouble and bins to Castleton yesterday. We approached through Winnats Pass for the view (and reminded myself of where Mr Plod spoke to me on last year's Chatsworth run!), went down Speedwell Cavern and then walked up to Peveril Castle. It was ace. It gets rammed in the summer though.

Archived