litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Really Stupid Question Of The Day - S1 Wheel Bearing Assy

Matt C

Feel embarrassed to ask to be honest, but its been on and off my mind for a few minutes now.

Car - Elise S1

Setup - Ali upright (front)

So, what is to stop the wheel coming off when cornering.....?

Wheel bolts the hub, hub is a snug fit through the bearing and clamped to the bearing from either side (M16 bolt). The bearing is a press fit into the ali hub carrier with a circlip either side.

Now the hub carrier is a through bore, so the only thing stopping the hub and bearing assy from pulling out is the circlip.......

Where am I wrong? And why is it not gonig to come off side high side loads...?!

post-1022-0-00277000-1395924834_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It must just be that the force from the interference fit is sufficient to hold the bearing in (considering it needs a 10 ton press to remove it). What we need is a mechanical engineer to perform the calculations for us - know anyone? :-)

I didn't actually crop the picture. It's just form google images. Also the nut and thrust washer only clamps against the inner race way. If it clamped against out race it would lock up solid and the wheel would not turn.

Jody is right, it only seems to be 1500-2000N press fit load and the circlip holding it in. Circlip not designed to take any load, so it's just the press in force of the bearing.

Not quite. 2000 a Newtons is about 200kg. As the car weighs 750kg the wheels would fall off. I expect the a bigger press is needed and then the circlips to hold the bearing into the upright. The inner part of the bearing is clamped onto the hub using the long nut and both and two thrust washers. As you say, it clamps only the inner part to the hub.

The bearing itself is designed not to be pulled apart sideways. It handles the "thrust" as well as allowing the wheel to rotate.

Archived