litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Ferrari Dino

scatty

My mate works at a place in Loughborough called Shiltek that basically do everything Ferrari. He's been working on this today.. 12000 miles from new.. One of the greats I reckon.

post-4355-0-32769900-1395354235_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love those. They were named after me.

Seriously though, they had one in the design office when they drew the s1 Elise - it was Julian Thompson's own car I believe.

jinx! (as my seven year old daughter would say)

To be honest I was a little disappointed when I first found out that the car was based on the Dino. Reason being that, although the Elise is ground breaking in terms of the way the chassis it's put together, JT has used a lot of features from the Dino. To the point where it's obvious. I guess it did bring the possibility of owning a Dino look alike to the masses though and I can't complain about that ;-)

I suppose JT would say it was influenced by the Dino but a few other cars as well, including some early Lotus sports racing cars, and even the Ducati motorbike. It's definitely not a Dino rip-off. I think it is a good design in it's own right.

In my eyes its a better looking car than the Dino so he obviously applied his design skills to what was obviously a very challenging task at the time. I think the word rip off is a little harsh and if it was based on my previous comment i think it was probably taken out of context. I can't imagine the Dino handles as well as the Elise (Not having driven one i wouldn't know), but the looks and price of the Elise are where it makes it affordable against a Dino.

The Elise S1 is actually a better proportioned and far more timeless design than the Dino.

Where the Dino looks distinctly antique now, the S1 still looks remarkably fresh and, dare I say it, desirable!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived