litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Ebc Usr Rotors + Green Stuff Pads (Too Much Of A Bargain?)

Simon Mac

My rear discs have seen better days, so looking around for replacements I found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELISE-01-07-EBC-RR-SLOTTED-USR-DISCS-GREENSTUFF-PADS-/120970053303

I realise Green Stuff isn't well regarded on the Elise, but at that price, it's mighty tempting. Seems cheaper than most places for the same discs on their own. . I'm after a road set up really, so thinking these might do the job.

My car currently has plain discs upfront with CL's, with what I believe are OEM drilled rotors / pads at the back

One thing I'm tempted to do is swap things round a little. Plains at back, USRs up front.

Thoughts?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would put plains on the back to match the front and CL pads too. This is the set up I have and it is excellent, and inexpensive (relatively). Carparts4less do pagid oem spec plain discs - mine were £131 for all 4. CL pads about £100 per axle.

I had ebc green stuff, they seemed ok until I got some rs42's, at the time I thought why would anyone spend that sort of money on pads when you can get green stuff, wow chalk and cheese, whilst it is a big enitial outlay they will last a for a couple of years if only normal road use so not bad over the life of the parts, get yourself a set of them.

If you have none servo brakes you'll find the ebc pads simply don't work. They arent bad with a servo in fairness but as said 1144 mine are the best all rounder for the Elise for road use.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I really need to sort the brakes out, been for a blast round today, and when I did manage to find an NSL road that wasn't being clogged by the "40 everywhere" brigade, it's pretty clear the current stoppers have seen better days. (Not helped by being sat for a while too I suspect).

I've put an order in for some 1144s and some OEM plain discs. I'll do a fluid flush while I'm at it, as I suspect it's not the freshest of stuff. Will let you know how I get on.

Si

A bit late now but I didn't like my mintex 1144's. Wet weather initial bite was poor - espec coming off a motorway. And dust was a pain if you let it build up. I've had CL5+'s since, excellent initial bite, good on track and road, low easy to clean dust - but I may be persuaded into trying something else if there is better these days, as the fronts are getting low.

Archived