litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Advice...

Alex B

I have been offer a reasonable offer for my car by a chap in New Zealand, does anyone know the process of exporting a car?

Safest way for payments so I don't get conned and never receive payment?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could always call a company like this and see if they could also deal with the payment side of things as well as shipping?

http://www.anglopacific.co.uk/car-shipping-to-new-zealand.htm?gclid=CJXd3PePj70CFa-WtAod0CkAcQ

There is a potential risk for both parties. He needs to be sure he's getting a car as described and you need to be sure you'll get your money.

Something like an Escrow account might be sensible http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow it will incur a fee but having a third party dealing with the cash / documents might make sense?

I would want extra £££s for all the hassle & would not let the car go until funds had cleared in my account. Good advice from from Leigh above, as long as the buyer pays the commissions.

Mine went to Austrailia, but luckily the chap did all the work. I got money in my bank, it cleared and then someone came to pick the car up!!

Does he want you to do all the work on shipping etcetc??? Personally I'd be wanting him to sort everything.

As long as you get what you want for the car, let the buyer sort it out. That way you won't get stung..

That's what happened with me. A middleman came round to inspect. Then the man gave me the dosh into my account. I emailed him when it had cleared, and then a transport company came and trailered it away...

Job done...

He said he'd sort everything out. Wants me to hold it for him until he can sort someone to come and look at it.

You have nothing to lose then. tell him it will remain for sale till the money is in your account. If he wants it, it will focus his mind :)

You make it sound so simple!

Who paid the fees scatty?

It is simple mate. All I wanted was £17k into my account for the car, it was up to them what they did with the car once I waved a teary goodbye...

As should you. You shouldn't be bothered about fees etc etc. that's up to them to sort out... If they want you to sort that, that's a whole new ball game. That's when I'd walk away.

I've sold a previous car to NZ as well. I was clear that I had no problem with it as long as he did all the organising.

We agreed a price, and he transferred a deposit of a £1000 direct to my bank account while he organised the shipping company.

Once sorted, he sent the rest of the money direct to my bank account and once cleared and I had said I was happy a chap with a transporter turned up (about a week later) and collected the car.

The negatives are that it can take a while to complete the sale - i think it took about 5 weeks in total and I remember a lot of emails and photos being exchanged so that he could see every detail of the car and understand the positives and negatives so you need to be patient.

If it's genuine then no reason why not, just don't get embroiled in the delivery/shipping process smile.png

Does he have family / friends over here?

If so you could suggest he sends the money to them, and they buy the car on his behalf taking immediate(ish) delivery.

Having the car sat on your drive for weeks won't be good. Where will you park it's replacement? who insures it ? .....

I guess it depends on how good the offer is vs. how much you will get waiting for a more conventional sale.

Archived