litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Back On The Road (Briefly)

Simon Mac

Had my car SORN'd and put away over winter.

My daily driver goes back at the end of the month, so the Lotus has stand in duties to perform until the arrival of my next "proper" car (fingers crossed end of May, and one of the first in the UK, I'll let you guess what it is ;) ).

As a shakedown test I used it for a few blats + commuted in it a couple of times and everything was going swimmingly, until on my way home, it started making a whining noise coupled with a very nasty burning belt/rubber smell. :(

The £365 for new cam and alternator belts, water pump, including low loader-ing it to the garage was mighty reasonable! Hopefully not too much else is wrong with it. (Loose pulley, or alternator bearing is my best guess).

I have to say the brief time I got behind the wheel I hugely enjoyed, and I can't wait to get the old girl back.

Si

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear your sad news hope she gets well soon and is on the road to recovery. I know you should not ask a lady her age but think it's differant for a Lotus ;-) what and how old is she?

Just planning when to Tax mine after it's 6 month SORN.. just on question remains 1st of April till 30th Sept or 1st May till 31st Oct. ..

I bought AlexB's old car, a 53 Plate S2 K Series.

I'm still planning on Honda'ing it, so this seems like dead money in some ways, but logistically this was the most sensible option.

My view of when to tax it depends on the weather, so a random gamble :) ... last few days have been ace which you wouldn't expect this time of year, which has been a shame as I couldn't drive the car over the weekend :(

It's a nice example that one. I still don't know why Alex sold it! Youngsters eh? ;-)

p.s don't Honda it, you'll ruin it. Tune the k and keep the handling I say (I know loads would disagree)

Sorry to hear she's let you down Si.

Thanks Alex, thought it's one of the joys of owning a 10 year old car TBH. (My Navara probably lost as much last month just in depreciation though)

In fairness, it had sat for months, and once the battery was reconnected it started up on the turn of the key. When it "broke" it got me home, and was still driveable. I only had it collected just in case, my understanding is either belt snapping can be pretty terminal on the Ks.

Looking through the service history the cambelt is only 18 months old so not due, but if it's been rubbing on the cam cover (I suspect this might be the source of the smell) better safe than sorry...

It's a nice example that one. I still don't know why Alex sold it! Youngsters eh? ;-)

p.s don't Honda it, you'll ruin it. Tune the k and keep the handling I say (I know loads would disagree)

He is looking to get another Lotus... wonder if he would like mine? ;)

TBH The #1 reason the Honda appeals to me is reliability, not performance.

I think on reflection that is a good move. The belt can rub on the cover and this can cause a lot of damage. It also heats up and it is difficult to see things like cracks, oil damage with your naked eye.

Lotus changed their recommended belt change to four years and I can only presume this was due to a few premature failures. I do mine every other year.

The Rover K is fairly reliable if looked after and any issues sorted good and proper. They are also much cheaper to run. However, if it does break down it can be really inconvenient. The things that tend to go wrong are not always engine related and can happen to any Elise.

Looks like my guess of alternator bearing was right!

Should get her back tomorrow, but with a new alternator, cambelt, tensioner and water pump.

I'm going to do a bit of work on the old girl myself at the weekend, sorting the gear linkage being my first foray into car spannering in more years than I care to remember.

Si

The smell will have been the alternator belt turning on an alternator pulley that was not turning. It never harms to change the cam belt though smile.png

My thoughts exactly :) TBH in some ways it's reassuring, I'd be more nervous if the crank pulley had been loose.

Archived