litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Had Enough Of Derbyshire Drivers!

winthattt

I cycle a lot, even to the mloc meeting at a Tollbar Racing. Since moving to a Derbyshire I have found the standard of respect drivers have for other road users the worst I have encountered anywhere in the world and I have cycled across France, in Cyprus, Italy, USA etc.

So far this year, on a monster descent down a hill into my village the driver coming up the hill most deliberately crossed the road and laughing forced me into my curb, I was doing 35mph so the closing speed was serious. There is a known local who does this for a laugh but as he has not killed anyone yet is not in prison.

A few days latter I was driving back along the same road where you have to make a left turn onto the road. It is a fast turn, if you want it to be. Knowing I was in Derbyshire I took the corner at about 30 only to meet someone, strangely driving straight towards me on my side of the road. Good job I was not doing the legal 60mph.

Last Sunday when I was on my cycle a woman driving a car crossed straight in front of me to get into a petrol station, my data logger shows the sudden total stop. She said she did not see me but it did not matter as I do not pay f***ing road tax and I did not have f***ing lights. I pointed out I do have lights but like hers, they were switched off as it was blazing sunshine and I do have road tax on four cars. Still, it wax my fault she did not see me, with a bright yellow jersey.

After getting home I took the family out to lunch, a short drive away. Seeing a cyclist coming the other way and an Audi coming up behind him I guessed, correctly, exactly what the moron driver would do. Straight out onto my side of the road and an emergency stop required be me to avoid a head on collision (wife shaken and son saying I saved his life).

On top of this, certainly in my village the Highway Code is interpreted thus: double yellow lines, residents parking. Zig zags and zebra crossing, parking for a few minutes. Bus stops, car parks.

Seriously, I have never encounter such shocking driving anywhere outside of India.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, i think driving standards are down... While commuting in a car, i come across several drivers who overtake bikes although cars are coming the other way... People don't care and do take chance.

Nowadays, I honestly think it is safer to drive on track flat out than on public road well within speed limits.

It'll be compounded by the inbreeding within Derbyshire.

wink.png

Brings back fond memories that remark Steve, of a conversation I had with a Female Copper friend whilst on a trip to the Lakes. She was talking about in-breeding in various Derbyshire villages she patrolled, mentioning things like crossed front teeth, large foreheads, squints in one eye to name but a few.

When I eventually stopped laughing, I asked her if this was just a bigotted coppers view, or was she qualified to make such generalisations.

I got a First Class Honours Degree in Social Anthropology from Cambridge came the reply.........!

Which village do you live in winthatt?

Invest in cheap hd camera like the go-pro copies. Then report wreckless and dangerous driving to the police. I'd say 50% of drivers dont deserve the right to be on the road driving especially when they say they can not see a cyclist in the middle of the day, like a recent AA survey suggests...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26479499

I live in Duffield which is just on the edge of the hills. Nutters appear to come from all directions. I am going to fit my go pro on my bike for the future. It could be fun for posting videos like the the guy with the parrot.

I do agree that many cyclists have shocking road manners as well. The big difference is that they largely only put themselves at risk, which is really evolution on fast forward.

I am having a bad year with Derbyshire. I am also having a debate with the hospital who admit the Doctor damaged my left eye by administering a completely unauthorised procedure. I fussed before my wife took me there saying they would do something stupid. As I could not see I had to go where she took me. The hospital lived down to my expectations. Vision has almost recovered, at least the hospital has said sorry (which was all I wanted).

Archived