litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Carbone Lorraine Cl5+ Versus Mintex 1144

DeanB

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do make your eyes want to pop out of the sockets the first time you hit the pedal ! biggrin.png

Don't let the pads wear too low though Jody, that's when my last set parted company with the backing plates.

I have just spent about two hours with autoglym ACID based wheel cleaner, brushes and scourers to clean the brake dust off TWO of my bloody wheels!

Tomorrow I would try and clean the shit off the other two AND THE BRAKE DUST OFF THE SODDING BODYWORK if it wasn't blasted Mothering Sunday!!

The moral of this story is don't go more than a day or two without cleaning your wheels and car if you have CLs fitted. You have been warned Jody!

They are awesome to drive though.

• 1 month later...

A little bit more on this story....

Yesterday my car went in to Unit4 and the brakes were looked at as I was worried about the wear on the front discs. The verdict was they are scrap - after only 3 months, about 2 - 3 thousand miles and two track days. The ridge on them was massive.

So, it's true - you buy cheap and you buy twice. I thought I could trust the brand Pagid but it seems not.

The front pads are also nearly finished. I suspect the metal (cheesium) coming off the discs is getting in to the pad and affecting their lifespan too - and making for the very hard to remove dust that gets chucked out. I can't say this for sure however as I'm not a scientist.

I certainly won't be buying cheap discs again. CL5+s probably.

In fairness I should add I brake very, very hard.

The discs looked worn at Blyton TBH.

So what are you having fitted to replace them?

Don't forget to follow the bedding in process before going out on track.(i would guess that you know this anyway?)

For now Alan I have put a set of good second hand standard discs on, to finsish off these pads, and then I will get some new discs and pads put on together. Probably oem spec again but proper quality. All the usual suspects do them - Eliseparts, Eliseshop, Seriously Lotus etc. I'm not sure whose are best though - does anyone have any experience?

I personally think the disk wear is because they are cheap(ish) disks. Also slotted disks seem to wear flatter, than cross drilled (like the oem disks).

Ultimax turbo disks lasted reasonably well (made some odd swooshing noises on the front tho under hard braking), until I swapped them to the back (and they just don't seem any different), and I put 295 Ali belled disks on the front (AP disks I think) and these have lasted well and are also wearing level (can only just tell they are starting to wear after a year) - and I don't get the horrendous dust that you talk about.

I suspect the baked on dust is your disks reforming on your wheels and rusting on.

If money allows, consider very good quality disks and CL5's up front when you next replace them. I would never use oem disks again.

Edit: I don't use mine in winter after the gritters have been out.

I certainly won't be buying cheap discs again. CL5+s probably.

Dean, be aware of using CL RC5+'s on the road.... see my post on page one of this thread. It was NOT a good experience. If you run your car in the summer and on track only then you should be fine, but if you're an all-year-rounder, then think carefully.

I ran cl6's for a year, best pads I have used but they machined my AP discs down very quickly. Switched back to RS14 after the shock of replacing a pair of front discs.

I have CLs on the Exige front and back. They rattle like hell on the front but its a price worth paying for such consistent, progressive and huge stopping power.

I always make sure the discs and pads are dried out after getting wet, so had no probs with moisture absortion either.

Car does get pampered though and doesn't even know that salt exists, never mind ice and snow!!

My car has had to spend a few days outside for reasons I won't bore you with, and I haven't had time to wash it so the "dust" built up again, especially on the front wheels. I noticed tonight the "dust" was going rusty!

And it won't come off. Bugger.

I have CL5s in my AP 4 pots. The stopping power is insane, I'm surprised it doesn't lift the rear wheels! However they rattle like f*ck. It's so bloody annoying and made worse with the rattle of my floating discs. I've bought some buffer material to try and sort it out and hope I can as they work brilliantly.

Archived