litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Carbone Lorraine Cl5+ Versus Mintex 1144

DeanB

Anyone think Pagids RS42/14's or other pads are better than CL5's? For initial bite, wet performance, and track use?

I have not used 42's but 14's only come close to CL5+ when they are hot, and then not as good !

You would be disappointed with 14's if you are used to the stopping performance of CL5+

Russ.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pagid 42s deffo don't have the same bite as the CL's.

Although I never used my CL's on track to compare to the pagids.... The pagids were great on track but don't have the same bite...

Has anyone used Carbotech on their Lotus??? They are what's going on the rice rocket next. I went out with a chap who had them on his and they were brutal....worth a shout if you want a track/road pad....

What's this preventative spray you use Numbnutz? Sounds like I need to get me some of that...

This is one of them - wonderwheels sealant, I got another one too from Halfords on a 3 for 2 deal (AutoGlynn) and the idea was to compare the two, but couldn't remember which one I put on which wheel - so that test failed - and to be honest they didn't look much different. Read the reviews.

It says the rains cleans them, but its seldom out in the rain this time of year. I've taken some pics and will try to load them later - message me your email and I'll forward them on to you Dean.

Thanks Russell/Scatty ...

I've heard of CarbonTech but I didn't like all the "not suitable for road use due to dust and noise", and not suitable for track, and the real blocker was needing new rotors if you have used a different manufacturers pad .... and my rotors are in pretty good condition front and back, not long replaced, so I don't fancy buying new ones just to try some new pads just yet.

I'll probably go CL5 front and CL6 back this year and see how I like that, or just CL6 F&B. However my backs are still fine, and I need new fronts as they are low low - maybe I'll just get 5's for the front and see how the backs are later this year after a few TD's.

I have CL5s on mine (AP 4 pots) and they work a lot better from cold than my old Pagid 14s did. They are a bit noisier though.

I did manage to start over heating them last summer at Donington but it was about 30 degrees ambient temp and I think I'm crap at braking (drag them a bit too much). I managed to turn my 308mm alcon disks blue......

The biggest issue I have is rattle. I have fully floating bells on the front and over some road surfaces it's almost unbearable! I think the pads might be rattling a bit too. I thought it was something esle but if I apply some light left foot braking whilst driving the noise goes away.

Overheating them Leigh? Blimey! But then I suppose you do also have a gazillion horsepower. :-)

Dean, believe me it was crap braking technique! There were other MLOCers on track out-braking me into corners by some margin and their brakes were fine!

I've just been in contact with Carbotech, £170 inc Vat for front and slightly dearer for the rear.

I'm tempted to try them but it's a lot if they are not as good as CL5+'s!..

I should have some on next month, you can try them out...

Mixing compounds will upset the front / rear bias & balance, the last thing you want is the rear locking up before the front !!

The rears on a S2 are known to be under braked, and so putting a better performing pad in the rear to level out the bias is common. I run 295's on the front, and if I find it too much, I can swap them back out and wait until I put 4 pots on the front.

Fair point about flagging the change in bias, as others may not fully understand the impact.

Jody/Scatty,

Are you planning to fit new disks too - as recommended and which pad are you considering? Please let me know how you get on.

Xp8s are generally a fast road pad and xp10s a more track pad. Mostly everyday driving with the odd trackday they say xp8... Regular trackdays xp10s...

The general consensus is that xp10s are a tad overkill just for everyday, but as I've seen them in action it's what I will plump for..I will be changing my discs also. Although mines for the rice rocket, not a lotus...

I was told they may squeal a bit when cold, but that's the 10s only and not the 8s....

Following advice on here, I've just swapped all four discs for boggo plain Pagids, and put on 1144s allround.

So far it's much better than the mix and match setup I had before. (CL5s on plain discs up front and OEM (guessing) on cross-drilled out back).

The thing I've noticed is the back brakes now seem to do something!

Would love to try CLs all round, but for road use, seems overkill. Coming from an Exige on A048s I just figured the braking differential was down to the lack of front end tyre grip (NSF always locked up quite early on the Elise). I think mismatch front bias may have also played a part now..

I for one won't go back to putting CL5s upfront alone.

I've pushed the button and bought a set of CL5+'S, my discs are in great shape so I'm going to leave these but I may get the Pagids £99 with a voucher code from Car parts for less and change the lot!

I'll be changing the Brake fluid too and re bleeding/setting the system tomorrow, I hope they are amazing!! :)

Archived