litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Need To Order New Battery Tonight

richbk

hi folks

as per title.

can anyone suggest a place to buy and type of battery to get for my exige.

happy to go lightweight if its worthwhile?

thx

richbk

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are happy with only a week of battery reserve then the Odyssey pc680 is a good weight saving for not to much money. Not sure if they are cheapest currently but they were when I bought mine... http://www.active-robots.com/shop-by-brand/odyssey/enersys-odyssey-pc680.html

If you want a big weight saving then you need to go lithium.. http://www.carrotcycles.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1648

Standard battery is approx 20kg £60, Odyssey 7kg £140, Shorai 2kg £300

Bet you can guess why I've been researching this, need to make the evora lighter!

Chris,

I've been looking at this for a while and keep wondering about:

Mounting: I don't thing either EP or ES have a battery mounting kits for these smaller batteries. I saw a French supplier has a kit but I need to do further diggings.

Connection: I want to retain the "original" connection so that I am free to return to a 206/306 battery if needed. I saw merlin sells adaptor so it's not a real issue

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/male-conversion-posts-for-20-25-35-batteries-pair-pvrbtm

Charging: how much charge can it take? can you go on holiday (or trackday trip) without worrying about the car starting on a cold morning?

Connection: It might be easy to fit an Anderson plug under the dashboard and run some battery cable to the battery and connect them in between the odyssey threaded connection and the merlin male adaptor.

Charger: would the halford charger be suitable to charge the odyssey. Or are the odyssey AGM type ?

EDIT: Just checked and Odysseys are AGM... About of interest, why some chargers are suitable for AGMs and some aren't?

I made my own aluminium bracket to hold my old 680. They have strong cranking on a cold morning and will last fine with even just a few minutes driving every few days. If left with no current draw they keep 80% of power for a year.

For the lithium they recommend running something that takes current for up to 30 seconds when really cold before cranking.

This seems to fit the bill????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Odyssey-PC680-PVR-Race-Battery-Bracket-posts-for-Std-fixing-Bundle-Deal-/151193198957?

I have a basic 12 /6 v trickle charger, that has kept my old battery well conditioned...... Until I forgot to turn it on in January !

Will it recharge the above or do I need to spend more £ on a new charger ,???

Thx

Rich

I'm tempted by that. Does anyone know what sort of charger you need for the odyssey battery?

Let us know how you get on if you order one would you please Rich?

I used a ctek designed for agm batteries. They don't make mine anymore but the new version seems to be the ctek mxs 3.8. You trickle charge it in the winter/agm mode.

Seem to be about £50 on web. They're good because they also come with quick connect cables to hard wire to the battery.

I'll need a different charger for my lithium so if anyone wants my charger I'd part with it for £30.

If you buy an Odyssey battery don't use a generic trickle charger. I fried my last one by leaving it on a standard 0.8 AMP charger. It needs to be 2.0 AMPS or more.

There's a lot of hype on the web about what trickle chargers you should and shouldn't use, but from experience and speaking to Odyssey suppliers as long as you go for chargers running at 2.0AMPS or above (and are AGM specific which the majority of 2.0 AMP chargers are) you'll be fine. I've got the C-Tek MXS 5.0 AMPS and it's perfect. Although they don't advise leaving it constantly on charge, just make sure it's full and then disconnect the earth lead if you're planning not to use it for a while.

I've had one sat on the shelf for over 12 months, put it in the car and it fired first time!

Chris - which I'd seen your post as I've only recently bought my MXS5.0 charger and yours would have been perfect!!

I've killed an Odyssey from using the wrong setting on the charger. Even on the AGM setting it struggles over the winter months the 340R sits in the garage. Might try disconnecting as you suggest Miles.

battery and bits ordered, after chat with sales guy at powervamp.

quiet impressed, they answered the phone at 8,18 am on a uk local rate number.

he explained need for charger of 2 amps...just not sure what mine is, so bit of research required.

so fingers crossed should be up and running on friday for a spring shakedown and bedding in the new discs and pads

richbk

Might try disconnecting as you suggest Miles.

Consider something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-CAR-Battery-Isolator-Cut-Off-Switch-/360762831858?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53ff23f3f2

Attach to battery terminal, attach wire to isolator. Turn the knob and battery is disconnected.

Yeah have seen those. Trouble is my 340R doesn't have clamps and battery posts it has eyelets on the end of the battery cables and uses a bolt into the battery terminals like these:

odyssey-pc680-12v-18ah-agm-battery-%5B3%

I was advised by a number of people that the two ways to kill or shorten the life of an Odyssey battery is to use a charger of only 0.8AMPS (which fried mine!) or to leave it constantly connected (even to an AGM charger).

They said to charger it up fully using the proper charger and then remove the charger and disconnect the battery - I simply disconnect the negative wire - takes 30 seconds with an alan key headed socket. I have left the battery for 6-12 months in the past (PC680 like in your post) and it fired first time on re-connecting.

Archived