litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Return Of An Ex-Member

Neil

Actually I'm not sure if describing myself as an ex-member is that accurate. Although I've probably not posted on here since about 2008, I get updates on my facebook feed so I've kept up with most of the news and seen plenty of people (and cars) come and go. It's good to see that plenty of the old timers are still active though.

Anyway, Miles suggested that I should stop by to say hello now that I've got another "proper" car. I'll come clean straight away - it's not a Lotus. I did look into getting a 111R, but can't believe how Elises have held their value. I went for what I saw as the next best thing.... A VX220!

I started off looking to do a straight swap for my Alfa 159, but couldn't resist looking at the Turbo models for a bit more money. I was then drawn to the more modified versions. I finally ended up with a 2.2 NA model fitted with an Eaton supercharger and chargecooler, Sachs adjustable suspension and loads of other mods. It's running 265bhp and 230lb/ft and is sat on Federal RSR's. It's also de-badged, so I've already had a few people ask what it is.

I've not had much chance to properly stretch it's legs due to the greasy roads, but on the few occasions I have been able to put my foot down I've been amazed how quickly and easily it will go from pootle to police cell speeds, even in a high gear.

It might not be the most sensible choice for a daily drive, but it puts a massive smile on my face. biggrin.png

post-1700-0-60651900-1393369446_thumb.jpgpost-1700-0-12312900-1393369453_thumb.jpgpost-1700-0-77412700-1393369465_thumb.jpgpost-1700-0-60163100-1393369796_thumb.jpgpost-1700-0-22969000-1393369808_thumb.jpg

I'll be keeping an eye out for any runs events over the summer (assuming you don't mind a Vauxhall imposter amongst the ranks), and hopefully will see some of you at a trackday some time soon.

Neil.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just put 500miles on my 595s; cheap as chips and better than the AD07s and falken 452s I've had previously. Completely not an expert or anywhere close but for the £££, I'm VERY happy!

Ps. That VX2200 is lovely!

Welcome back Moschops smile.png

:lol: I'd forgotten that!

Good to see you back Neil, and glad you saw my message :)

I can't blame you going for a vx, they are certainly considerably good value for money when it comes to bhp/£ compared to an Elise and having driven a VX220Turbo and an VX220 n/a with an s/c, I think you made the right choice as I prefered the s/c. Am I right that the n/a uses a lighter block hence why they s/c the n/a cars in preference to modifying the Turbo ones?

Jon, bit of an Obi Wan Kenobi moment there... "Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time." :D

Miles, you are right that the NA uses a lighter alloy block compared to the iron lump in the "tubby" model - there's about 60kg difference between the two models. There are plenty of stage 2 turbo models putting out 250ish bhp (fit an Astra VXR turbo and a remap) but I prefer the idea of instant response vs turbo lag.

I can't say much about the RSR's other than that are black and round. When the weather clears up a little and I can get it on track I'll let you know what I think of them. They look nice if that helps!

Archived