litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Quantum Zeros V Nitron Ss

elanplus2

I'm in the process of choosing replacements for the Koni shocks on a S1. Narrowed my options down to Nitron SS shocks as there seems to be much debate and strong opinions but I'm left with the impression that Nitrons are preferred by many.. Since I have never been in a car other than my own I've no idea what to expect or way of comparing alternatives. So my choice is going to have to be based on recommendations rather than my own experience.

I'm asking because a set of Quantum Zero's have come up on another lotus forum (yes that one!) and I would appreciate some advice from people who maybe have these fitted before taking a punt.

I have no interest in tracking the car after spending so much time prepping for a respray and would loath bending it after all the effort.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the main difference is that Quantum’s are that they are not adjustable for bump and rebound the nitrons are.

I had a set of Nitron Street Series on my car before and they were good, I have not tried a car with the quantum’s so could not comment. TBH anything is going to be better the your old Konis.

The ones for sale are for an s2 so you would need extra brackets to fit.

Ive had Quantums on my S1 for a while now, it was previously fitted with S2 Bilsteins, and as said above anything is going to be better than your Koni's (even four large pieces of wood without springs) tongue.gif .

The problem with suspension changes are that its such a subjective issue, the price tends to have a huge bearing on the owners thoughts, someone who has just spent £1800 on a suspension refresh isn't about to rubbish the shocks they have just purchased.

I thought long and hard before making my choice but went with the Quantums for the following reasons.

At the time of my purchase there were longevity issues with the Nitrons, I don't know if this was just a batch?. I also liked the fact that the Quantums are British made, not something that bothers many, but it does me, the Quantums allow height adjustment which was something that I required(Presently running at 105F 115R), but as said above don't offer bump and rebound, if I'm honest, I don't really understand bump and rebound and my cars ability is restricted by my driving ability, so I doubt the bump and rebound settings would affect this that much anyway?, and finally my car is mainly used on the shockingly poor British roads. Having said that I did get in a couple of track days last year where the car was perfectly happy in my non driving God hands. I was lucky enough to drive several cars with Nitrons and couldn't fault any of them so this certainly isn't a go at something that is favoured by many. Just my 2p worth, and my personal choice.

I would also add that I refreshed the whole suspension bushes ball joints etc and having fitted the new pieces I think this S1 is in handling terms probably as good as any I have owned previously....theres been a few, but I suspect Nitrons would have given a very similar end product.

I picked Nitrons single way track spec because they were a good chunk cheaper than the Quantums. Like others have said, I very much doubt I can tell the difference so I let my wallet make the decision. I would expect them all to be very good.

Like the previous poster, I wanted UK. made which also applies to Nitrons.

I would get whichever ones give you the best deal.

Thanks very much for your thoughts guys. I've checked out more on Quantum and they certainly have a distinguished racing pedigree and like you say Johnathan British kit on a British car ticks a box for me too.

The car has had polly bushes fitted by the previous owner so I don't know the difference that they make to the ride over standard but I'd describe the current ride as firm - unforgiving. I've grown used to it and quite like it really.

So without any benchmarks the handling seems pretty good as it is at the moment even if the Koni's are universally condemned and no better than a few pieces of 3x2! I'm certainly looking forward to an upgrade.

Thanks again

My car has the Quantums on, and has had a relatively easy life on them according to the previous owner. They've had 2 springs snap (both replaced under warranty) and the left side dampers seem to have a soft "knock" over pot holes, driver's side don't. I had it checked out when the alignment was being set up, no bush or ball joint issues, all bolts are tight, it can only be the dampers really. I wouldn't have another set. They were new in May '13.

Matt

Matt I remember the first spring snapped almost immediately and it couldn't be geod on the geo day at Tollbar last year. That must have been because the springs were poor quality - what else could it have been?

I don't know to be honest, when I viewed the car it had another snapped spring, I bought it anyway and Eliseparts were fantastic about it, spring came the next day even though I hadn't directly bought the kit from them. Really easy to replace, the threads have a good anti corrosion coating. Graham's drive is quite steep and he said he didn't use it often, so perhaps it sitting nose down for a couple of weeks had a bearing on it, I'm only guessing really. Eliseparts said it was the only set that's had snapped springs, no real reason to doubt them

Matt

Thanks to everyone. This has helped me to get a sensible perspective on the options. I can imagine how faulty springs could erode confidence. I also picked up a fair degree of prejudice against the Gaz in Seloc forums even though they have been involved in developing shocks for a race series.Perhaps this is down to people naturally reinforcing their own choices. I remember from my psychology days this being referred to as "the avoidance of post decisonal regret" which naturally increases in proportion to the amount invested.

Given my budget in mind I'll see what comes up with any of these options and then hopefully enjoy the improvement wherever it comes from.

Meantime if anyone is ready to upgrade let me know.

(Johnathan Is the power of love worth the pain of loss? Interesting question! Have to say at the moment definitely No..... but I'm working on it and hopefully a yes at some point.)

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few sets of brand spanking new LLS Ohlins on exiges.com that are ready to be adjusted for either S1 or S2. I believe Gav already has some on his Sport 160 and the drive fom both passenger and drivers seat is superb!

As the ad says really Dean although I meant LMS in my post. Gav has a very good relationship with the guys there and offered me a set for the S1 but I haven't got to the point yet of deciding exactly what I am doing and want the S2 done and dusted first. Nice though :-)

Archived