litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Noise Tests

Christopher Lawless

Been thinking about trackdays and if I am going to be able to do any this year as this will affect my choice of insurance (Henderson Taylor with trackday cover or AIB without). One thing that concerns me is the noise the Exige makes. Everyone tells me that they can hear me coming even when I'm just pottering about. Is there anywhere in or around Sheffield I can get it measured as the last thing I want is to book a day and then be black flagged for noise?

Looking through the history there is a receipt for a Quicksilver Super sports exhaust and I know there's an after market air filter. Has anyone got any ideas how loud is loud ? Lol

Cheers

Chris

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most trackday organisers will do you a noise test if you pop down to one. If you get there near the start of the day (after all the drivers have had the brief, signed on, etc) and find the person in charge of day, they'll be able to point you to the noise testing people.

Obviously if that track only uses drive-by measurements, you won't get a test done though, as these are done with a permanently installed system.

Also, just because you pass a static one in the pits, that doesn't mean you won't have an issue with a drive-by (and vice versa).

If you ask about your combination on Exiges.com,you might find someone with the same set-up as you who can tell you whether or not it's OK.

Most trackday organisers will do you a noise test if you pop down to one. If you get there near the start of the day (after all the drivers have had the brief, signed on, etc) and find the person in charge of day, they'll be able to point you to the noise testing people.

Obviously if that track only uses drive-by measurements, you won't get a test done though, as these are done with a permanently installed system.

Also, just because you pass a static one in the pits, that doesn't mean you won't have an issue with a drive-by (and vice versa).

If you ask about your combination on Exiges.com,you might find someone with the same set-up as you who can tell you whether or not it's OK.

Was thinking of getting it tested at Blyton when I pop down to watch the LoT day on March 8th but my insurance is due the same day so could do with an idea before then lol. Will probably go for the trackday cover policy anyway and see how she goes.

I know that a static test isn't the be all and end all but should give me a good ball park figure. You also tend to find they regisiter different at each track as well so if it's borderline i could still face problems elsewhere.

My old Clio 182 with an ITG filter and a Janspeed system clocked up 86-88dB at Oulton park and the Exige is way louder than that.

Do you have to be a member to post on Exiges.com?

Cheers

Yes but you'll clear admin now in a matter of 24hrs if you register, be sure to say hi and post up some pictures of your car Chris.

On my NA I had, many moons ago a Quicksilver exhaust and manifold with ITG, it registered 106db @ Donny, it was only 3 months old and on its first track day. It has to be the single most sh1te piece of kit I ever installed.....lol of course that's just IMO, but having no help from Quicksilver whatsoever left me with a lot of resentment.

That sounds like what's on mine. Stuck my head in the engine bay when I got home and it's an ITG filter. The exhaust receipt is 2004 so guessing it is 10years old. Quite like the sound especially on full go but 106db is way too loud for trackdays. :-(

What problems did you have jonny ?

If you pop down to any circuit on any given trackday they will give you a noise test....just find out when say, javelin, are at Donington or Blyton, drop them an email and they will gladly do it for you...

M exige n/a with trd air filter, 2bular was 88 db static.

My evo is 95/96 static, and passed a drive by of 98 db at Donington in December...

If you pop down to any circuit on any given trackday they will give you a noise test....just find out when say, javelin, are at Donington or Blyton, drop them an email and they will gladly do it for you...

M exige n/a with trd air filter, 2bular was 88 db static.

My evo is 95/96 static, and passed a drive by of 98 db at Donington in December...

That's about right Scatty, I had a decat with 2bular manifold, exhaust and an ITG airbox, 93-94dbs drive by at Donny by Jonny BaT. Even now with a bigger bore system and some serious airflow with a K&N I'm still under 98.

Is your car supercharged Chris? If so maybe just go GT3 with eliminator kit, looks the Dogs and so long as you don't change the manifold and cat you'll be chilling you boots.

For the best possible results, keep the ITG, I love the way it sounds like Darth Vader and go 2bular 421 manifold, decat, GT3 repackable as standard which I never needed to do after lots and lots of track days. 93-94dbs guaranteed. It sounded really fruity on drive by. Or there is Scatty's way which I have actual heard drive by by its previous owners, sounds ok just lacks the depth better though for quieter tracks. As a matter of fact my current system sounds the same as my old system just louder and slightly more rounded.....not sure that make sense but I guess it just the fact we don't use forced induction which alters the sound dramatically.

Well it actually registered about 98/99 so the guy said call it 100 incase of meter differences/operator/etc. That's easily acceptable for trackdays so yeah I'm happy. Didn't fancy having to spend a fortune on a new exhaust system to quieten it down.

You don't have to take down any part of your post as that is your experience and it may be helpful for others. If I didn't already have a Quicksilver installed I would be interested in the standard of their customer service.

Tis done, never mind. I was hopping in and out the house having just fitted a new expansion tank. I managed to get an air lock that was proving a PITA to get rid of. All sorted now though. Also took apart our Whilpool dryer and repaired that.....£200 engineer job that cost me £3.99 in way of a thermal fuse and a little faff....strange day!

Archived