litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Wet Trackday Tips?

stockhome

Stowe on Saturday looks like it could be a bit of a washout, what do other people do for a wet track day. I have adjustable ARB and suspension, a set of AD07s on standard wheels or 888s on a set of oz racing wheels. I have searched the web and there seem to a hell of a lot of conflicting information regarding what to do in the wet.

Soften or disconnect ARB?

Soften suspension (how much?)

Road tyres or track?

Reduce or increase tyre pressures there are arguments for both on seloc?

My plan is to put the ARB on its softest setting, start the day with the dampers on full soft and increase until I am happy with the setup. Not sure which tyres to go for and what do people do with tyre pressures? I would have thought softening would be the way to go.

Calling jonnyfox i know you love wet days

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless there's loads of standing water the 888's will grip better.

Don't disconnect the arb, if anything stiffen it for the wet because it'll enable you to go into the corners quicker and lean on the front end without worrying about it swapping ends.

Personally I don't even soften my dampers on wet days, or stiffen them on dry days. You'll find ten times as much time in your own driving as you will in tweaking settings on the day.

Tyre pressures should be adjusted to normal running pressure when hot, so something like 24/27 for an s2.

Best thing you can do is just keep pounding round!

I've never had a problem with 888's on a wet trackday, but the ad07's might give you more confidence.

It depends on how stiff your current Arb is, but yes you can go a bit softer with the arb as it's gives a bit more roll and weight transfer across the car, but if you do that only go a few clicks softer on the suspension. It's not going to make a massive difference, plus I wouldn't want to change the characteristics to much from what you're used to. To be honest I leave the same for wet and dry days now. (Do not disconnect the Arb unless you have a very stiff one)

Most important change is to run more of the wet race line, I.e. Mostly off the traditional dry line. You won't believe how much more grip some corners have off the line (Feels like nearly double the grip sometimes).

Biggest problem I have is people aren't as good with their mirrors in the wet, so when you come up to overtake them they seem to have tunnel vision (plus the spray doesn't help).

Tyres wise you want to aim for roughly the same hot temperature pressure (which normally means starting a bit higher pressure when wet).

When I raced Formula Ford (historics) everyone disconnected their arbs front and rear to try and increase weight transfer as Chris says. On an Elige I would soften it right off rather than disconnecting it. I would also soften the dampers off a bit. I would try perhaps 5 clicks softer at the front and 7 softer at the rear and see how you get on.

A softer rear end should improve traction.

A stiffer front relative to the rear should mean it will slide at the front before it slides at the back and so should be less likely to spin and a little easier to drive.

A softer car overall should be a fair bit less twitchy.

If you like those settings leave them. If you want more understeer or less oversteer.stiffen the fronts or soften the rears. If you want less understeer soften the front or stiffen the rear.

I agree with what Chris says about tyres and lines. 888s will be better if there isn't loads of standing water.

As has been said Sheldon, just be smooth on the power after the apex* mate and when nice and straight nail it.....start braking early, pick your spot and alter accordingly throughout the day.

*Try the long way around corners..... Hitting the apex on a very wet day is not the quickest line. Corner examples, Stowe, Copse, Redgate, Coppice...

Have fun :-)

Jonny and Chris are right. I would add do everything smoothly - braking, throttle inputs, steering and gear changes. Heel and toe downshifts help massively but if you aren't already good at those don't start on a wet track day. You may laugh but I always have "ask her nicely" in my head when I drive fast - it helps me to remember to be smooth with all my inputs.

Driving on a wet track is great actually. It requires absolute concentration and self control and so is really rewarding. Any other stuff on your mind gets forgotten while you're on track, that's for sure.

Have fun.

Thanks for the tips gents, i like the "ask her gently" mantra Dean. I can just about heel and toe on the road but not nearly good enough for a trackday yet. Determined to get out there and learn as much as i can.

Will post up some video afterwards

Done 3 wet track days now and they are great fun.

Main thing for me was keeping out of other peoples way. So that I could take the corners at the pace I wanted to.

You won't go far wrong following Jonny fox's wet line rule

Good advice from the above guys. I would leave the bar alone as it changes the balance rather dramatically. Biggest difference I found on my Elise when racing. To give a bit more feel you can back the dampers off a little. Key point is get the tyre pressures right as Dan said. Warm up the tyres and brakes and you'll be amazed how much grip there is!! Have fun and as it's wet, more slides in the slower corners is fun!!

Archived