litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

"i Don't Know Why You'd Need More Than A Standard 120Bhp K

chrislane

A phrase i have used more than once over the last couple of years. But a chat with Mark at Stratstones at the weekend made me wonder just how close to the standard 120bhp mine really was. So i took it along to a local rolling road this morning. I have no idea how accurate these are, but none the less it seems to be generating more power than i thought it was. Its only taken three years of ownership to realise it!

rolling road.pdf

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the 106 in brackets? If that's the wheel power at the rollers then I'd say it's spot on. People reckon between 10-15%, losses on the Elise so if you pick the middle at 12.5% losses that's just about 120HP.

If the 106 is wheel power I'm sure how they estimate 146 form that a power loss of about 27% which is too much for the Elise

Id say you should be happy with that result. Looks like you car is very healthy!

RRs are a bit of a black art. I've had mine on 4 different ones and got a very different figure each time.

A decent rr operator can make them show whatever they want (especially if they have just released you of some £'s for an air filter or similar)

The important bit is is your car running ok (as stated above)

Now to your question, 120 in such a light car was good 15 years ago but now hot superminis have to have 200 bhp (ok they are a bit Lordy these days) but 120 does make it a little breathless once it is going.

My 1999 118 k is up to 150 and it is good to have those slightly longer legs but a little more would be better but I would not want to risk it going pop on a standard bottom end etc.

A decent rr operator can make them show whatever they want (especially if they have just released you of some £'s for an air filter or similar)

Now to your question, 120 in such a light car was good 15 years ago but now hot superminis have to have 200 bhp (ok they are a bit Lordy these days) but 120 does make it a little breathless once it is going.

My 1999 118 k is up to 150 and it is good to have those slightly longer legs but a little more would be better but I would not want to risk it going pop on a standard bottom end etc.

I agree with this, don't want to sound like a chavvy kid but coming from Hondas with 200-250bhp the Elise does feel a little slow in a straight line, and mine is the 156bhp K :) It's still great fun but needs more poke IMO!

Reminds me of the last time I went to get my Honda Elise mapped at a known specilaist. He said, do you want a headline bhp figure to brag about to your mates or do you want a car mapped properly!

I'd be happy with that result Chris, looks like all is running well :)

^^^ very true Miles, mine is mapped in the same way. Headline figures could have me 240+ at the fly but/and having seen 2zz's with similar mods and more power none have the peak torque I have.

For everyday driving, you don't really need any more than that.

But what about weekends? Aaah well, that's a different matter entirely, with horse power being inversely proportional to wallet contents but directly proportional to grin factor.

Archived