litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Alain Menu Back In Btcc

Foggy

After a 14 year abscense from BTCC Alain Menu is coming back to contest the 2014 season in a 3 car team, Team BMR running Passat CC's. Could we get back to the heady days of the early/mid 90's with loads of manufacturers getting back in? I have been following it again over the past 3 years and the series is getting better and better.

Me and my daughter will try to get to even more meetings this year, particularly Snetterton and Croft. Jess's favourite is Rob Austin, she thinks he is just so cool, she's only 11 and knows nearly all of the drivers and the cars/teams they drive, she loves to get down into the pit walkabout.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We met Rob at Donnington 2 years ago and Jess had her photo taken with him in the pits, we then later in the year, went to Snett and did the pit walk about and Jess wanted to go and see him again and to our amazement he recognised her and said 'hello again, I remember you from Donnington', how many drivers would remember and if they did, would be bothered to say something. Jess was so chuffed, she was beaming from ear to ear all weekend. Its a shame we couldn't make it to Rockingham last year for his first win!

Just checked this years dates and can't make Snett this year as we will be flying back from America that day, I always want to do that one as my Dad was a marshall their when I was a kid in the late 70's/early 80's, we lived just outside Norwich.

Austin always comes across as a likeable chap in interviews, and I must admit to following him the last couple of years. Does anybody else remember his bad smash at Brands last season coming up towards Druids, Newsham spun and he had a call to make as to whether to go left or right, and in that split second he made the wrong decision and was T-Boned into the armco at a significant speed. Car written off. I assume he is self funded with limited sponsorship, so that can't have been cheap :(

Video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlnG1N8i1U

Austin always comes across as a likeable chap in interviews, and I must admit to following him the last couple of years. Does anybody else remember his bad smash at Brands last season coming up towards Druids, Newsham spun and he had a call to make as to whether to go left or right, and in that split second he made the wrong decision and was T-Boned into the armco at a significant speed. Car written off. I assume he is self funded with limited sponsorship, so that can't have been cheap sad.png

Video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlnG1N8i1U

Yeh, remember it vividly, we thought that was it curtains for a small team, but his determination and following got them through. Jess and I have the 'We helped save Sherman' T shirts. Jess got Rob to sign hers at Croft, but unfortunately Kim forgot it was signed and put it in the wash = one very very upset daughter and a faded signatureangry.gif.

Last time we saw Menu race was when he drove the Laguna, my Dad bought a BTCC edition of the Laguna in white around that time, with full body kit, big alloys etc, it looked the dogs danglie. We were driving down the A34 towards Newbury one day going to my Aunts funeral in Poole and overtook the Williams Renault BTCC team trucks, we got the thumbs up and beeps from both truck drivers, my Dad was so chuffed, God bless him. I still have a Williams Dealer Racing BTCC team jacket, I am loathed to part with it as it reminds me of the days me and Dad used to follow the series.

Archived