litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Goaty's Crash, The Trial.

Elaine

It's just over a year since Matt was killed in the accident, and it's finally in court. Here's the link from the Leicester Mercury http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Driver-caused-tragedy-distracted/story-20443853-detail/story.html

Here's the link to the original thread on MLOC http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/topic/60679-christmas-eve-fatal-crash-in-coalville/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tragic waste of life....

I wonder if wearing a seatbelt would have saved his life...

Not sure, our friends live over the road from where it happened and saw Matt take his last breaths, but I've never asked them for details. It really upset them. :(

What a horrible story. So many little things going wrong and combining to make a full-on tragedy. I'm not surprised that Elaine's friend was upset. Somehow, with all the new detail, it sounds so much worse.

Indeed, if Matt hadn't had been doing around 60mph in a 30 limit, maybe he'd have been at a standstill following him braking? And if he had been wearing a seat belt, who knows? (why do young folks think it's 'cool' not to wear their seat belts? Especially if they even break the lower speed limits... Maybe it's because they cannot remember the horrors that we all saw/heard about when we were younger?) sad.png

And if Sarah Ryan HAD been paying attention, and not (possibly) checking her phone making her go on the wrong side of the road.... She had her babies in the car with her, what the effin hell was she thinking?!!!! thumbdown.gif

And then there's Harlow's Timber Yard. The fencing was all smashed up/missing on Matt's side of the road following the accident, so it looks like he went through that and maybe into stacks of timber.

Reg's cousin was at Matt's parent's house that Christmas Eve, they were all waiting for Matt to get home. He never made it.

Andy who stayed with Matt while he was dying, still has nightmares about it now.

Lots of lives badly affected. Whatever happens in court, there will be no winners that's for sure.

My god, this is so tragic. Its brings tears to my eyes that something like this can happen so easily and over so fast - it actually scares me.

People take safety for granted too easily.

Thoughts to all those directly and indirectly affected. So sad.

Matt's a big loss to the world let alone the Lotus community, he really was a sound lad. I can't bring myself to even think about the whys or where fors surrounding his family or Sarah Ryan's, it's terribly sad for all concerned. We had a cracking time at the Nurburgring, that was proper fun, I'll never forget it.

The case isn't on the court list for tomorrow which suggests it has finished.

The case finished yesterday, the verdict was at 4.00pm, but I haven't heard the outcome yet. I'm guessing it'll be on the Mercury website by around 10.00am today.

I've got a feeling that the court will have been much lighter on a young Mum, than it would on a young lad in her situation. That really shouldn't be the case in these days of equality, but the rules are repeatedly bent to suit...

I think you may be right Elaine, but the decision to convict or acquit is the jury's alone, and I would struggle to vote guilty if I were on the jury - a young mother who has made a mistake (the case presumably isn't that her driving was wilfully bad or the charge would be causing death by dangerous driving), who probably feels awful and will have to live with the guilt for the rest of her life anyway?

I haven't heard the evidence and i'm not saying I definitely wouldn't convict - if her driving was particularly egregious then I would, but it can't be easy for the jury.

Archived