litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Good Price For S2 Discs

DeanB

I have just ordered four standard spec plain brake discs for my k series s2 (non vvc) from CarParts4less. They are Pagid, and were £131 plus change for all four inc. vat and postage (36.60 each but with a discount code knocking another £15 off).

These were the cheapest decent quality discs I could find. They are a lot cheaper infact than any others I could find so I thought i'd share the info.

Beware a lot of companies (inc. a few on ebay) listing s2 discs that are wrong for the car, because they are too small , not vented, have five stud holes etc.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did you go on with these Dean? My discs are wearing lots now (and my S1 has alloy bells with iron discs, and prices are eye watering for a bit of steel) and I'm looking at options?

Cheers,

Kurt

How did you go on with these Dean? My discs are wearing lots now (and my S1 has alloy bells with iron discs, and prices are eye watering for a bit of steel) and I'm looking at options?

Cheers,

Kurt

Top quality cheeseium I believe.

I bought some from Eurocar parts, and they have been fine for 5K miles  (including Stelvio Pass + 1 track day) using Mintex 1144 pads. They still look fine with no lipping.

Think I paid a shade over £100 for 4 on one of their mad discount days.

The combo did squeal like mad though to start with. They finally stopped after me getting them VERY hot at Blyton.

Mine proved a disaster with Carbon Lorraine pads. Wore out in 3 months (honestly!) and disc material transferred on to the pads ruining another set of discs while all the while throwing out "dust" that stuck to the wheels and body and wouldn't come off.

New discs and new CLs are fine.

Mine proved a disaster with Carbon Lorraine pads. Wore out in 3 months (honestly!) and disc material transferred on to the pads ruining another set of discs while all the while throwing out "dust" that stuck to the wheels and body and wouldn't come off.

I remember you mentioning that on here.  I know the CLs are supposed to be much better, but the Mintex have been fine for me (esp. now they don't squeal :D )

I had mintex 1144s on before the CLs. I quite liked them - they are quite civilised if a little dusty. The feel was pretty good but they felt mushy and inconsistent on heavy stops on track.

The CLs are rock solid, consistent and have far superior stopping power but rattle a lot in the calipers.

Maybe next time at Blyton you can have a couple of laps in mine to compare Simon?

Sure, sounds plan like. Thanks!

I guess for a budget setup, mine have proved adequate.  So for the sake of posterity and fairness, if anyone just wants a fast road setup, they will do without being too spendy.

I did toy with going the whole Ultimax / Ally Belled + CL5 route, but TBH I'm not good enough behind the wheel to really get the most out of them so I'm happy enough.

• 2 months later...

Dean,

What discs are you running now? I assume the plain stock ones, but await your feedback. Similarly, are you on CL RC5+ pads? I'm just looking at options, as I intend to track the Exige this year (wooohooooooo!!)....

Kurt I am now on standard discs and CL RC5+ pads.

The discs I now have on are fine - they are oem spec and therefore decent quality. The onlyones toavoid that I know of are the Pagid branded ones from Euro car parts that I had and describe above. They arafe of cheese.

The pads are immense on track - better than pagids I have had previously. Good on the road too although they rattle in the calipers and can sometimes sound coarse on application. It is important to dry them if you can before putting the car in the garage tho - and I hear they don't like road salt which can cause the pad to break up, although I haven't had this issue and rinsing the salt off apparently prevents it.

Archived