litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Trackday Camera

SMP

Evening all,

I've taken the plunge and booked myself a track day at long last - Bedford with lotus On Track.

As I'm sure here are a few on here who have done similar, can anyone tell me the policy with using a Go Pro camera.

Are they allowed ? Are suction mounts allowed ? Inside / outside car rules etc

There appears to be conflicting advice on the web and I've checked the FAQ on the LOT site but can't find an answer.

Thanks in advance - wish me luck !!

Simon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simon

I can't comment on LOT's camera policy. But when I had my Elise, with MSV and a few others if you use a 'suction mount' then you also have to 'tether' it to something as well.

For example I cable tied mine ( using two large cable ties together ) to the rear view mirror which has been accepted by MSV,bookatrac and Rockingham circuit numerous times.

I have just brought the new go pro hero 3 and now have an Exige and plan to use one of the 'semi permanent' mounts on the rear window ( you can't see out of it anyway and therefore the rear view mirror is redundant' BUT I have also brought a pack of the go pro 'tethers' and plan to stick one of those next to the camera. I am going to Cadwell on Friday with this new set up so will find out if it's acceptable there.

If you decide to go with a 'semi permanent mount, PM me with your home address I will send you a tether ( 'cos I am nice like that! ).

HTH

PS - If by any chance you have harnesses - you can use a roll bar mount on the harness 'bar' and everybody accepts that to my knowledge. When I had a Caterham I used the 'roll bar' mount without issue.

Mark

Cheers Mark - Message sent.

Time to fetch my little lady out of hibernation and see where I can fit one - I like the internal mirror idea !

Have fun at Cadwell !

Simon

I use a one of the 3M sticky mounts on the front windscreen almost in line with the rear view mirror. When all attached up the camera sits in line with the rear view mirror. Never had issues with this set up.

Personally don't think there's need for a tether if using the sticky mounts as they are little bas***ds to get off.

I know that Javelin will Not allow any suction style mounts at all on their trackdays.

Just got back from a day with Javelin at Cadwell Park and you are absolutely right - no suction mounts were allowed by them under any circumstances. No problem with permenant mounts though. Especially with the use use of a 'tether'. Did you get the one I sent you in the post SMP? If so you will be fine using that.

It was an 'experience' today though at Cadwell, first track day there so far this year, wet track, no talent and new car - bloody hell my concentration levels went though the roof!!

Bet that was fun mark! Cadwell is a dry summer day track only. It frightens me!

Your not kidding Alex! I am a rubbish driver but I try and keep out of the way of the faster drivers but I really do enjoy myself on track days. It's just a hobby and a bit fun, there's no point in having these cars if you don't push them a bit IMO! Having said that I did think to myself as I was looking out of the passenger window when the car went sideways why on earth I had picked Cadwell this time of year!!

But like I said great bit of fun!

Mind you Scatty would have been alright the place was full of Subaru's and Evo's all with four wheel drive and electronic wizardry keeping them safely on track!!!

Mark

Just got back from a day with Javelin at Cadwell Park and you are absolutely right - no suction mounts were allowed by them under any circumstances. No problem with permenant mounts though. Especially with the use use of a 'tether'. Did you get the one I sent you in the post SMP? If so you will be fine using that.

It was an 'experience' today though at Cadwell, first track day there so far this year, wet track, no talent and new car - bloody hell my concentration levels went though the roof!!

Hi Meister,

I haven't received the tether yet BUT I do have a letter to collect from the PO - I'lll confirm but thanks very much !

I'm going to drop a mount under the rear view mirror as suggested together with one on the rear screen and tether it.

Tempted to also mount one on the roll bar internally so I can get a higher view internal together with pointing he camera above the roofline backwards if the roof is off.

Some cable ties to secure e power leads and I'm all set !

Cheers,

Simon

Archived