litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nitrons Spring Rates For S1

AlanS1

It is interesting that nitron street series run 275/350 yet nitron also recommend 400/475 for "fast road" use.

Dan Webster runs 400/500 on his Honda'd s1 which is probably similar to the 400/475 nitron recommend for fast road, given a honda car is heavier on the arse. Dan knows a bit about these cars, especially driving them fast. He also regularly uses his on the road and on track days. I would be inclined to follow his lead but go down to 475 on the rear to compensate for the weight difference on your k engined car. 400/475.

My mate who runs a race team checks the spring rates on every new set of springs he has on his own rig. He only buys Eibach now because other makes he has tried are often a fair bit harder or softer than they are supposed to be.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris_h - You would have thought so, but no mention from Nitron that they recommend re-valving to match different spring rates?.

I have read over on Solec that the valving is the same on all the 46 one ways? Don't know if this is true though.

DeanB - I am taking into consideration of every ones opinions on their setup. Its going to be a bit of a gamble either way as what suits your driving may not suit mine. Then there is the common issue of driver ability, or lack off in my case :)

Alan, do you want me to bring my spare rear springs over this evening? Can see if they will fit if so you're welcome to try them out.

Valving for the nitrons I believe is 2/1 rebound to bump for standard nitrons and 1/1 for Hoffman's. I can remember reading this somewhere on seloc.

Hi Alex, that is very generous of you and I would have snapped you hand of at the offer the other day. However I have already ordered some springs and they should be here today.

I have gone for 400lb front (5" with my current helpers) 475lb rear (6" with my current helpers). This is Nitrons fast road set up. I did really consider going a bit stronger but I was concerned about how they would be with wet weather. The springs are Faulkners race springs and was only just over £100 for the set. Eibach's are around £300 a set.

Hopefully I will be fitting these this evening along with a few other bits I still have to do. You are welcome to pop over?

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the valving in the nitrons is done relative to the springs. So if you change the spring rate significantly then they need re-valving.

Chris, you're spot on. When I spoke to Nitron they said that you can run springs within a certain range for each specific damper. For example they said that for Nitron SS they are valved to suit anywhere between 275/350 and 400/475 springs but any stiffer and you would need to change the damper. The NTR's for road use are designed for a range starting at 400/475.

Archived