litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Exhaust Wrap

AlanS1

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CAwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thermalvelocity.co.uk%2Fproduct.asp%3FP_ID%3D408&ei=r8fFUpyzCcaqhQehmYG4Cw&usg=AFQjCNEx1I1aEOETifjSUXo_nutbm_DXdA&sig2=id-ypy9SMevtxWlZwHPerw

That's what I've used on previous cars. As said put on wet and it dries nice and tight. I've found with this wrap stuff you get what you pay for... This has been the best I've used... On my scoob it was still on as tight as a nuns knickers 4 years on....

Scatty - Was it the Magna wrap that you used? They say on the website that you don't have to wet it?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I had the magma. I definately wet it first. You can put it on dry but it fits tighter and better if wet... Easier to manipulate into the corners...

I have used alternatives, or cheaper options but they usually become brittle and fall apart after a year or so....

Scatty - Thanks for the positive information. I had already been looking at this particular wrap. Its great to see that it works well if fitted correct. Is there a secret to fitting apart from wetting?

None, its dead easy...didn't take mrs scatty long at all...I think the best way is slowly and as tight as possible. I think I used some metal cable ties to clampon the end..

When you get the wrap you will see its so much easy to get really tight once its wet...

First of all thank you for all of your help. However things didn't work out as planned.

I decided to remove my down pipe (quite easy apart from the usual stubborn nut).

Then I moved onto the manifold. Got the nuts (mainly with studs as well) undone easily. Then the fun part, trying to get the thing out??

Boy what a job. At first I tried to remove from below, I removed the oil filter, but no joy. I had to remove the bottom engine support, ratchet strap the engine to tilt the top of the engine back and then wiggle the manifold out from the top.

I then thought that I would try newly acquired used 4-2-1 off a 340r to ensure it would fit well before I attempted to wrap/ coat.

I released the ratchet strap. Then tried to thread the manifold from underneath. No go. So I used the ratchet strap to pull the bottom of the engine to the rear. Another hour of wiggling. I was ready to put a match to the car. Went for a brew and come back and it went in straight away. Could you adam and eve it?

After all that struggling along with the reduced amount of space available for fitting the manifold studs/nuts I decided that now its in it can stay in.

I will now use the heat shield method that lots of you suggested.

Sitting in the garage is 2 sheets of Nimbus GII. 1 for the manifold and the other for the alternator and other thongs I am sure I can find use for.

Does anyone have any templates that they could lend?

Alan

Archived