litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Exhaust Wrap

AlanS1

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been skeptical about wrapping a manifold, yes it's the done thing but I'd rather coat it. I have however used the titanium stuff from DT on my decat, easy to apply and wore well. Used steel cable ties.

On the the refresh thread there is a link to Marcote, they can also coat manifolds etc like Zircotec, not so expensive but only in white.

I would love to have it coated in like Zircotec, but if i remember correctly you are looking at least £500 for a manifold? This is what i have read in other threads.

A lot more than i want to pay.

You mention DT? who are DT?

Thanks

I used the Eliseparts fabric wrap with stainless ties wraps and it lasted 6months.

It gets wet then dries out, then wet / dry / etc / etc...

What is the driver for wanting it ? If it's to protect (eg) the alternator, I'd get an alternator heatshield rather than wrap the exhaust.

I've had wrap on my manifold for years without much issue. Coating was my first choice but it was stupidly expensive.

Wrapping was the more cost effective option.

Heat is a real problem when pushing a lot of power.

I used the Eliseparts fabric wrap with stainless ties wraps and it lasted 6months.

It gets wet then dries out, then wet / dry / etc / etc...

What is the driver for wanting it ? If it's to protect (eg) the alternator, I'd get an alternator heatshield rather than wrap the exhaust.

Currently i do not have any form of heat shield eek.gif

I am going to be fitting a 4-2-1 manifold and obviously i need something.

So my choices are buy some expensive Nimbus and spend hours trying to form a heat shield that will hide the manifold or get some good quality(probably same price as Nimbus) and wrap the manifold.

If it is wrapped well it should also look well?

I did a Nimbus heat shield and the wrap. The wrap was before the manifold went.on the car and I took a lot of time and care. It just didn't last.

Steve - your manifold is better protected from the elememts I guess, being the other way round and inside the exige body???

There are lots of competing information on whether wrapping/coating a manifold is a good idea or not. From what I understand there is no universally correct response.

On my car (Honda K20a) the manifold is between the engine and the boot. Rover K-series is between the engine and the firewall.

When giving it the beans on track the manifold can glow red. There are a number of components which are close to the pipes which don't fair well if exposed to too much heat. There's also the issue with the boot area getting very hot when touring which can heat up things you're carrying in the boot, as there is no real divider in the Exige.

So to keep the engine bay down to a reasonable temp I wrapped the pipes, fitted Nimbus protecting engine components, driveshafts, track rods etc and the boot floor.

Engine cover is the motorsport which sucks hot air out of the engine bay.

Opened the clam behind the reversing and fog lights to vent more hot air.

Drilled holes behind the numberplate to help with more air flow.

For me it was about removing excessive heat from the engine bay but that could mean more heat is going down the pipes and through the exhaust. This could mean the packing material gets destroyed quicker however the previous exhaust only lasted 5k miles before all the packing was gone. My current is re-packable so would only cost the packing material to sort out. It's lasted 8k miles and not empty yet.

Not noticed any ill effects.

I suspect any increase in exhaust gas temp on my car will be negligible and if my system copes fine then a k-series putting out much less heat will put less stress.

If you're worried about alternator getting fried then sorting a proper heat shield and then ducting cold air from the side pod onto it would have more of an effect than just wrapping the nearest (or all) pipes. BTW the other issue with the alternator on the Rover cars is they spin at the top of their design rating and therefore wear quicker, which is something you can't sort.

I'm looking into the zircotec coatings at the moment for the manifolds and cat I'm going to put on the evora. They have a new cheaper range called primary range. I think a k series manifold would be about £175.

Elise shop has a big alternator pulley (80mm), got one a it's fine so far.

Zircotec is fine but if manifold weld fails, you won't be able the weld it to fix it...

On the caterham, i used the wrapping loaded with some metal particles for merlin motorsport. After a couple of heat cycles, the metal particles scinter makin the wrapping stronger

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CAwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thermalvelocity.co.uk%2Fproduct.asp%3FP_ID%3D408&ei=r8fFUpyzCcaqhQehmYG4Cw&usg=AFQjCNEx1I1aEOETifjSUXo_nutbm_DXdA&sig2=id-ypy9SMevtxWlZwHPerw

That's what I've used on previous cars. As said put on wet and it dries nice and tight. I've found with this wrap stuff you get what you pay for... This has been the best I've used... On my scoob it was still on as tight as a nuns knickers 4 years on....

Archived