Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Suspension Refresh And Garage Space

jody391

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys well today it all started!....

Russ I have followed your idea and setup so I can move things around.

KJ I promise that you shall see your ball joint tool again this year! Much appreciated.

Kosmo I wanted to remove the clams but have no room to store them so decided to struggle my way around.

Martin wow it is tight squeezing around the car!

So I started this afternoon around 1 and have just eaten my dinner, all the rear end has been removed and I just need to clamp the ball joints up as they are spinning whilst I'm turning! They have split though of the tapper.

All ball joints are knackered, but bushes seem ok but they shall be changed anyway.

The N/S rear bearing had started to whine a little, I couldn't remove the brake disc at all so left it in place, when I tapped the drive shaft through the bearing had collapsed and the hub and disc just floats around!! ( really lucky with this )

More fun tomorrow! :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

I watch with keen interest Jody, my Exige is on wooden blocks (wheels and under trays removed) waiting to start this work. Our daughter keeps me occupied way to much though, so it's not ideal timing at the mo. I've noted a coolant seep and a fair misting of oil over the sump, along with a leaking exhaust flexi joint! Big bills ahoy, as I contemplate a full 2bular system inc manifold. Oh and the exhaust heat shield is past its best. Perhaps it'd be better to do jobs like this with eyes tight shut...

Good luck mate, keep up the good work.

Cheers Dean/Kurt I had not planned to start it this year at all in fact I had planned for a February start!

But something clicked yesterday! It's a good job I did as the N/S wheel bearing has collapsed!!!!

Back out there now! :)

Well today was spent stripping down the ally uprights and removing the ball joints and bushes.

One of the bearings had picked up a little, the hub has sufficient marking on for me to want to not use it again!

Also partially cleaned the uprights, they will be cleaned a little further later.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Jody - Looks like its "suspension refresh" week cool.gif

My rear suspension is also all stripped off the car. However the balljoints and wheel bearings are all good, so they can stay on.

I am thinking of painting the wishbones with black Hamerite(smooth)? Might even paint the Ally uprights?

Alan

As i already have some in the garage i will try on one of the wishbones and see from there.

I know it used to be ok?

If this works out not suitable is there any other options apart from the expensive POR 15?

Archived