litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Clutch, What Are My Options?

JonS

So, after 100,000 miles, a number of track days, 5 euro trips, and plenty of abuse my clutch is finally on it's way out!

I'm amazed it has lasted this long to be honest, but my 12 year old trusty clutch looks like it is due for replacement. What are my options here if any?

For those that don't know, I have 2001 S2 K-series beefed up by DVA from 119 to 148 brake. Occasional track use but mainly commute and fast road.

J.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our first Elise (standard S1) did over 100k on a standard one. No signs of degrading when we sold it so no idea what mileage it managed. A standard one works fine on all Elises / Exiges - the Exige used the same parts as the standard Elise according to the parts manual, as did the S2 K-series Elise.

I have a standard one from the current Elise that was taken out when the previous owner did all the engine upgrades. It only did 15k (before being replaced with the Eliseparts lightened flywheel / clutch assembly) if you're interested ?

I'm away with work at the moment but when I get back I can measure it up for wear if you're interested, although it obviously won't be very worn at 15k. I away until at least Saturday / Sunday, or Sonya could bring it to the MLOC Xmas lunch if you want to have a gander at it.

No idea what they go for, though. Deroure list the clutch and cover plate at ~£235 + VAT !!!

Thanks Chris, I'll bear that in mind and let you know before the weekend. smile.png

What about doing something like this: Is this just overkill?

http://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/12/1516/k-series-clutch-flywheel-package/

Am wondering if the increase power may have sped up the wear on the clutch. Done 15k since putting the power up.

That looks the same as my fitted one. It's a lot of money when you add the VAT. My engine revs to 8k rpm so probably it was a sensible upgrade but if the Exige used a standard clutch...

Go with your heart. The engine and box have to be split. It's just a trade-off of wants vs needs vs budget vs performance (as always ! )

This is what I'm thinking Dean.

The EP kit above has the AP clutch and the EP lightweight flywheel. Just wondering about how it might effect the driving for the daily commute?

Has anyone fitted this AP & EP kit for a daily drive? Does it make driving the car normally any harder?

I like mods that give more than one gain. A lightened flywheel will lighten the car (obviously) at the back of the car where it needs it the most, will maybe give a little more power and should certainly improve throttle response - My standard k is frustratingly lazy in that respect, you really find yourself waiting for the revs to rise when changing down.

If you have the clutch and flywheel balanced as an assembly it might also make the engine smoother?

Is any of this helping your man-maths Jon? ;-)

I have the AP 'K Series' clutch in my c.240bhp Duratec. 30+k road miles, half a dozen race events and plenty of trackdays and its still fine. The only problem I have is whether to re-use it when I refit the engine post-refresh.....

Archived