litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Front Brake Caliper Fitment

elanplus2

I'd like to fit 4 pot calipers on a S1 Elise and was wondering if these MG Brembos would fit. Currently on standard discs and 15" wheels. I'd Appreciate any advice from you kind people. (I'm too chicken to post on Seloc in case I get flamed for asking a dumb question!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPERS-BREMBO-43c27a888d

Thanks for any advice or alternative suggestions.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not sure you need 4 pots unless you are running big power? people run Hondas with 220 bhp and better discs and pads without going to 4 pots.

You may also upset the braking balance and be over braked on the front compared to the back? I would consider better discs and pads first.

I'm pretty sure you need 16" front wheels to fit over 4 pot callipers. (There was only a few mm clearance with my AP 4pot on 16" front wheels).

(Whilst CL pads have great stopping power, I would personally avoid them as I know a lot of people have had a problem with them crumbling and failing.)

I'm pretty sure you need 16" front wheels to fit over 4 pot callipers. (There was only a few mm clearance with my AP 4pot on 16" front wheels).

(Whilst CL pads have great stopping power, I would personally avoid them as I know a lot of people have had a problem with them crumbling and failing.)

So what is the best pad/disc combo then? I was tempted by a brake upgrade at somepoint. If not 4 pots then braided hoses, discs and pads.

As Martin says, unless your running big/silly/suicide BHP, you'd be better off spending money elsewhere.

If you must upgrade your brakes, look at Elise Parts for CL pads and Ultimax Discs.

Welcomebye1.gif

Do NOT buy CL's if you intend to run the car all year. I can't stress that enough!

(my opinion obviously - having suffered the consequences recently)

Summer and track use - CL's are awesome! I've just changed to Pagid RS42's with EBC Ultimax discs so we'll see how those go.

I loved my ap discs and rs14 pads. Don't think any passenger ever thought I needed better brakes!!

Certainly didn't go through my mind when I paxed with you at donny and my legs were starting to lift off the floor!!

4 pots all the way, couldn't go back now

4 pots are popular on big power s2 exiges but they are typically 150 kilos (2 people!) heavier than s1 Elises. I would try new pads - pagids are probably best (RS42s for fast road and the odd track day) along with braided hoses. Standard discs are fine if they are in good nick and you aren't doing lots of track days.

Give that a try and see what you think.

Sadly, long gone are the days of lotus producing ultra lightweight track cars, what does a V6 weigh in at, twice the weight of an S1?

It still amuses me how you guys class a 1100kg car as heavy ;)

Coming for more typical performance cars of 1600kg, any Lotus is a feather weight IMO

Anything much over 800kg is heavy.

Although you may not need 4 pots they do improve braking meaning less pushing the pedal to slow the car and therefore easier to heal and toe ( for me at least).

I ran a standard S1 happily on track with pagid 42s for years. Swapped to the relatively lardy S2 exige and trashed the discs and pads after a day at a dry donington. Ended up putting the AP 4 pot 308mm kit on and it was transformed. Painfully expensive though.

So for me I would not bother with 4 pot on an S1 but would consider it essential for a Toyota S2.

Archived