litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Geo Required - Where To Go ?

@ndy

Depends what you want doing, on a non ride height adjustable car it can take anything from half an hour to track both ends to a couple of hours to set camber and tracking.

Corner weighting and ride height take a little longer, but I have a unit with a nice level floor for doing it all and get pretty good results. You can have all the kit in the world but its the monkey on the end that makes the difference, if you're not accurate then you're wasting your time, especially on a car as sensitive to setup as the elise.

I read an interesting book about chassis preparation by Bill Sollis, multiple mini miglia champion, who said he could never tell the difference between his car corner weighted with him in it or without...

I agree with that - I had a geo done by someone near Brum and it was terrible. I corner weighted it after with zero difference. Then took it to someone who didn't copy and knew what they were doing and the difference was night and day.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what you want doing, on a non ride height adjustable car it can take anything from half an hour to track both ends to a couple of hours to set camber and tracking.

Corner weighting and ride height take a little longer, but I have a unit with a nice level floor for doing it all and get pretty good results. You can have all the kit in the world but its the monkey on the end that makes the difference, if you're not accurate then you're wasting your time, especially on a car as sensitive to setup as the elise.

I read an interesting book about chassis preparation by Bill Sollis, multiple mini miglia champion, who said he could never tell the difference between his car corner weighted with him in it or without...

Assuming everything is correct and not broken, is there much benefit getting all that done on a bog standard setup or is it more for the guys with aftermarket adjustable setups?

You can't set up the corner weights on a standard car. To do so you need dampers with adjustable spring collars, so you can lift one corner a bit to throw weight on to the opposite corner and so on. The idea is to try and equalise the weight across the axles (I think).

Lots of options to choose from there..... Local is obviously favourite but want to make sure its done right.

Dan has owned a few Elises now and knows what does what when changing settings. There is no substitute for this type of experience IMO.

You can't set up the corner weights on a standard car. To do so you need dampers with adjustable spring collars, so you can lift one corner a bit to throw weight on to the opposite corner and so on. The idea is to try and equalise the weight across the axles (I think).

Dean I was thinking more in general rather than corner weighting specifically. I assume Lotus setup their road cars quite neutral and therefore "safe" like many manufacturers but is there much adjustment on standard setups to sharpen everything.

Don't assume anything....i've geo'd an almost new elise that had 8mm of toe across the rear end. The factory setting is supposed to be 2.4mm total and the car was less than 6 months old...

Dan would you say in your experience that there are gains to be had worth the effort from a little toe and camber on a standard Exige?

It depends what you consider a gain, but yes I would.

Assuming the setup is absolutely spot on the factory settings then you can change the balance quite a lot with some camber and toe adjustments, but with increased camber for example will come increased tyre wear depending on how extreme you go, but you can't have your cake and eat it unfortunately.

One other point, unless specifically asked to, I don't use any prescriptive set of figues like the '340R' setup or others than many refer to. I ask you how you want your car to drive, what you're going to use it for, and tailor it to you.

Just out of interest, have you geo'd any Esprits? We could add you to the Esprit forums. :)

Hi Elaine, I never have no...although i've done a few other cars. Always happy to try something new though!

I'm not sure any of them would want their car to be the guinea pig though...

Most Esprit owners tend to use GST Performance.

Archived