litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Interest In "an Alternative To Axlestands"

jody391

I have just read the seloc thread too. I might be going out on a limb here but I think, on balance and after careful consideration, that MLOC is better than seloc.

I am guessing this post will not be controversial.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Southern poofs you see ;)

I've done some calcs:

Well according to spec sheets I can find the compressive strength is about 0.3MPa

That converts to about 3500 kg / m2

Total area holding car up is about 0.36 m2

So is should hold 1260 kg.

Car weights 800kg so well within that figure.

However it would do no harm to go a bit bigger with them if you were buying foam. If you could get up to 0.5m2 then you'd be into about 1750kg max weight which would gives a nice margin.

It's been up there since Friday night. Hasn't compressed any and is showing no signs of any damage.

You couldn't get under the car really as they are too low. Really only using them to prop it up whilst the wheels are away.

If anyone can confirm the compressive strength of the material I can check the calcs again.

Southern poofs you see wink.png

I've done some calcs:

Well according to spec sheets I can find the compressive strength is about 0.3MPa

That converts to about 3500 kg / m2

Total area holding car up is about 0.36 m2

So is should hold 1260 kg.

Car weights 800kg so well within that figure.

However it would do no harm to go a bit bigger with them if you were buying foam. If you could get up to 0.5m2 then you'd be into about 1750kg max weight which would gives a nice margin.

It's been up there since Friday night. Hasn't compressed any and is showing no signs of any damage.

You couldn't get under the car really as they are too low. Really only using them to prop it up whilst the wheels are away.

If anyone can confirm the compressive strength of the material I can check the calcs again.

Well done that man!

I knew someone would be able to do the math on this one! (sadly it was never going to me!)

1500kg plus would make me feel a whole lot more comfortable about using these if I am honest.

Mark

Just found some Cellofoam spec sheets. The weakest one they do (Type 1) has a compressive strength at 10% deformation of 13 psi. This equals 9000 kg per m2,

http://www.pdbuilding.com/docs/cellofoam1357231951.pdf

This means that the 0.36m2 I have under the car should support up 3200kg before it deforms by just 10%.

What would be the air speed velocity of a swallow when laiden with 1 foam block?

It would walk....

Just found some Cellofoam spec sheets. The weakest one they do (Type 1) has a compressive strength at 10% deformation of 13 psi. This equals 9000 kg per m2,

http://www.pdbuildin...m1357231951.pdf

This means that the 0.36m2 I have under the car should support up 3200kg before it deforms by just 10%.

It would walk....

thanks for that Leigh.

was worried about them dropping out the air...

I have just read the seloc thread too. I might be going out on a limb here but I think, on balance and after careful consideration, that MLOC is better than seloc.

thumbs_up.gif yep

1500kg plus would make me feel a whole lot more comfortable about using these if I am honest.

Same here. I like the idea of sitting the car on these rather than stands for extended periods but I think I would be happier if the blocks could hold about double the cars weight or more after reading the SELOC thread.

thumbs_up.gif yep

Same here. I like the idea of sitting the car on these rather than stands for extended periods but I think I would be happier if the blocks could hold about double the cars weight or more after reading the SELOC thread.

Already do!

I'll have a set (as requested over on SELOC)

I'm a brummie living in the south, where do I fit on the soft southern shite scale?

I'm a brummie living in the south, where do I fit on the soft southern shite scale?

Next to me... ;)

Kiddy born and bread - now, as my profile says: deep into Seloc territory!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived