litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Avon Zzr's

R.I.B.

Just bought a set of Avon ZZR's, same tyres that they're currently using in the Lotus Trophy cup, apparently they're lapping quicker than the A048s and not wearing down as quick. Ordered them direct yesterday lunch time and arrived today. Spoke to a guy called Christopher who was really friendly and helpful and has even asked for me to give him a call back to let him know what i think. Another big bonus is that they're a lot cheaper than the A048s.

Here's a link with the contact details incase anyone's interested....

http://www.lotrdc.co...paration/#tyres

Just got to fit them on the my new rims and i'll be ready to try them out at Le Mans smile.png Can't wait

post-2858-0-35345600-1374588295_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my s2 they cost me 577 Inc vat plus delivery. Haven't seen any recommended tyre pressures, I'll try starting at 24 / 26 cold and see how I get on. The tyre walls feel super solid.

G - I'll need to borrow some skill from somewhere to get the best out of them but I'll give it a good go :)

Cheers Chris, I found this information under the avon resource centre - lotus on track...

We strongly recommend all competitors to 'scrub' new tyres in. This helps increase a tyre life and also its consistency over long runs. More information on Avons Scrubbing in procedure.

Minimum cold starting pressure: 22psi (This is the pressure the tyre is set to prior to a session/ heat cycle). Running any lower than this could potentially damage the tyres sidewall construction. Avon Motorsport does not recommend specific starting pressures. This is due to the variables involved (i.e. track conditions, track and ambient temperatures, circuit layout, session length, driving characteristics).

Target hot pressure: 32psi (This is the optimum pressure for the tyre to be run at whilst at operating temperature). To obtain this target hot pressure there may be a requirement to start each tyre at different cold starting pressures; this is due to each tyre inevitably working at different levels. The cold starting pressure required to achieve the target hot pressure will depend on the variables stated above.

No, it's saying you should be running at 32 psi when driving. That means a cold starting pressure on the road of probably 28-30 but on track will probably be mid 20's. but they are warning you that you should never start with a cold pressure below 22.

yeap, they are saying that for optimum performance you need to achieve 32psi whilst you're using them, that's why they don't recommend an exact cold pressure because it depends on the way they're being used, track temp, circuit layout etc.

Say you start out at 25 psi when they're cold, you go out on track for a few laps they'll probably be more like 32psi. I've managed to see a difference of 5psi from a cold morning, stood still in shade to a sunny afternoon whilst blasting down some country roads. Even having the sun shine on the side wall for a couple of hours will increase the pressure a couple of psi compared to the side in the shade.

Clockwise circuits will heat up the offside tyres more than the inside. Oversteer will heat up the rears more than the fronts etc etc. So to reach the perfect pressure for each tyre you might end up with slightly different pressures in every tyre. That's what the guys who race will be trying to achieve.

• 7 months later...

Archived