Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Cheers for today gav,

Oil change, brake fluid change, new steering wheel and boss. And a free torque wrench thrown in for good measure!

Great work and a great price. Didn't even put mi coat on today!

Lesson of the day, if you ever need a lotus horn push, ask gav first instead of buying one for £41.95....

Edited by scatty

• 2 months later...

Another thanks to Gav at Unit 4 for a great job. Completely re-did the fuel system on my Honda S2. Replaced the tank, rewired the fuel pump, new lines, FPR etc. etc.

I had my ideas of how it might be done but of course Gav suggested a better way of doing it and he was right!

Great attention to detial and happy to deal with my OCD tendancies. Can't ask for any more really.

• 1 month later...

Big thanks to Gav at Unit4 again. He had mine in for service again the week before last, and I came away very happy. He discovered a blow on the exhaust flexi and it needed new front brake pads so my parts bill was higher than I had hoped, but the labour bill was very reasonable as it always is with Gav. Knowing how thoroughly he goes over the car when he services it gives great peace of mind.

The oil change has quietened the engine down noticeably, the braided brake hoses, new pads and fluid mean the brakes are tip-top again and the whole car feels and sounds great.

I bought the oil, filter and brake fluid from Opie (delivered to Unit4) and they gave me a 10% discount for MLOC membership so big thanks to them too.

Elise parts supplied the braided hoses and pads. Competitive prices and impeccable service from those guys - I have used them probably 7 or 8 times now and they have always been first rate.

I got the exhaust down pipe from Brook Kensington. The service was good, but I was told the cost was £156 all-in, and I paid by card over the phone, only to receive the receipt through the post with postage (£7ish iirc) added on. I don't think I misheard them....but I suppose it's a genuine misunderstanding, so I haven't quibbled and won't hold it against them. The guy did say he had knocked me a bit off to begin with, too, so all in all I was quite pleased.

Sorry if this post got a bit boring! I have just read it back and fell asleep twice! Anyway, the feedback may be useful to some of you guys......

Yours must have been the S1 that was in there last week.

Mine is currently in with Gav for some CC upgrades. It has been away from me for a week now, but I know its in good hands. Show me the horses! The engine type not the lasagne type :D

• 3 months later...

Gavin at Unit4 Vehicle Services in Burton on Trent repaired my head gasket failure last week. He did an excellent job at short notice at a very fair price. He had the head pressure tested and hardness tested and skimmed before building it all back up with new gaskets (including the multi layer steel payen head gasket), long bolts, spark plugs, water pump, cam belt and tensioner - all from top drawer manufacturers.

As ever with Gav I came away feeling he had given the job the same care and attention as if it were his own car. He also found a couple of mistakes made by people who had previously worked on the engine which he rectified. It just goes to show how important it is to have someone that really knows what they're doing work on the car.

I can't recommend him highly enough.

• 1 month later...

Back at Unit 4 today.

Oil service on the S2, MOT, changed an engine mount and spotted an issue with the oil lines on the laminova cooler rubbing against a bracket - which Gav sorted.

All top drawer as ever. Took a bit longer than expected as Russell came along and kidnapped Gav for about 20 mins!