Our ferry was sailing back to Liverpool on the Monday at 2.00pm so Monday morning we went for a last blast on the TT course finishing at the Creg n'bar pub at the end of the mountain road section. As I got out of the car the smell of gear oil ( cat piss and sulphur ) was very strong. I knew then that something was definitely amiss.
Dave got in touch with his cousin's husband Lee who has a garage in Douglas. We took the car to Lee at 8.30am and left it with him for investigation while we all went to our hotel for breakfast and to pack. After removing the undertray Lee found that gear oil was leaking from the near side driveshaft oil seal and was by now dripping when the car was stood. Lee advised that I arranged to be recovered when we docked at Liverpool.
I rang Green Flag to discover that my policy had elapsed at the end of May. After a conversation with them about not sending me notification and Green flag saying it had been posted it became clear that they were not prepared help.The best that they could offer me was to pay a one off payment of £110.00 and they would take me up to 10 miles ! Plan B was needed.
Lee gave me a 14mm socket and an extension bar so I could get to top up the oil from the top of the box. He also arranged for me to benefit from his trade discount at a motor factors in Douglas where I bought 2 litres of gear oil for topping up on the way home. Top bloke is Lee I owe him several beers when I'm next over.
I stopped to top up with gear oil a couple of times, once on the M6 then again on the A50 just outside Stoke. On the second stop I put in the last of the 2 litres. I could see that it was dripping out quite fast ! I stopped again at Derby with Burton services on the A50 the car had now started making a grating noise, I looked under the car and could see oil pouring out in a steady stream. It was coming out faster than I could have topped up. I rang a mate to come and pick us up and left the car overnight at the services.
As the car was near Burton I arranged to have it recovered to Unit 4 as I have heard only good reports about Gav. I had a long chat with Gav and left the car with him for him to make a start when he had time. Gav started to strip the car earlier this week and rang me to say that the diff bearing had loads of play and it was this that had caused the seal to fail. The new bearings ( I'm having all 3 replaced with metal caged uprated ones ) and seals should be with him today. I have also ordered a new AP clutch kit and asked him to change the rear engine oil seal at the same time. I have also decided to have the cam belt changed,the brake and clutch fluid changed and an Elise parts gear linkage kit fitted at the same time. Progress report to follow :
Being recovered from Burton services.
The failed bearing, you can see how much play there is !
The box on Gav's bench. All the gears, synchros and other bearings are in very good fettle.
My remote stat. different type and different location to the Elise parts job. It seems to keep temps stable though !
Edited by russelld, 28 June 2012 - 10:41 AM.